Sunday, February 04, 2007

Carrot-Ginger Soup

I don't dislike carrots but I don't seek them out for a meal. Mom serves them often. So when she told me she had made a carrot soup I wasn't all that excited. BUT, one spoonful and I was hooked. Delicious.

Carrot-Ginger Soup With Fresh Cilantro (serves 4)

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 small onion, small
8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk (regular or low-fat)
2-inch segment fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil and saute onion for 1 minute in large soup pot. Add carrots and garlic, and stir to coat with oil. Cook 3 minutes to medium-low hear, until carrots are just tender. Add chicken stock; bring to a boil. Stir in coconut milk, ginger root and cumin. Reduce hear, and cook, covering for 10 minutes, or until carrots are very soft. Remove from heat. Puree until smooth, and return to pot; stir in cilantro. Season with salt salt and pepper (mom served with a little sour cream).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh that DOES sound good! i'll give it a try myself.

Meabh Warburton said...

I made it for lunch and it was delish. Served 2 greedy people not 4!
BTW you posted about mosaic artists a while ago - check out cleo mussi's work at www.mussimosaics.co.uk - it's wonderful.