Wednesday, January 11, 2023

The list goes on and on

Bri came over to help me go through documents. She discovered I am paying for 2 can pick-up, so I called to cancel the extra. She also highly suggested that I canceled Xfinity, sign up with Ziply (a local internet provided who everyone is raving about), purchase Roku streaming devices ... I ordered two at around $150.00). They had gone this route when they moved into their new place, now pay around $70 a month for interest service and of course (we) share many of our other channels. She says they have accesss to most cable shows. I feared not watching my news channels but I have decided I am tired of paying $300+ a month for cable. I might be miserable, but we will see. 

I finally hired an estate planner attorney to do all to those boring but necessary documents. 

Got another account changed over to my name, via 10 documents to sign. Spent lots of time on the phone with Wells Fargo figuring out the mortgage payment, and now have to go to the County Assessors office to file probate nonsense for the title to the house since we had no will. Oh, how easy it would have been with that piece of paper! Now I will probably have to hire a real estate lawyer. 

Closing out bank accounts has proven to be much harder than I had imagined. They have sent me "a package" to go over and fill out. And of course there are lots of faxing death certificates to hospitals, Wells Fargo, banks, etc. 

So, figuring out house transfer (check), mortgage payment (check), closing out bank account (check),  trying to transfer another savings account that David had but it did not have my name on it making it a complete pain in the ass (check), taking David's name off accounts and making sure my name is on the account (check). And it feels like the list goes on and on.

I know many of you have been through this. I just had no idea  how tedious it would be. 

I put my closet cleaning aside to tackle these important chores. 

So my advice to one and all ... make sure you have your will in place ;) And make sure both of your names are on the house title. I know mine was on the title when we bought the house, signed all the papers so I have no idea what has happened until I go look at the title.

1 comment:

beverly said...

Hopefully you were deeded the property as joint tenants.

Joint tenants with rights of survivorship (JTWROS) is ownership by two or more individuals who have equal rights to the property while alive and survivorship rights at death. Rights of survivorship means that when one owner dies the entire ownership interest transfers to the surviving owners.

We have ziply fiber for our landline phone and internet. My son put up an antenna for our tv so we get local channels and pbs.

Looks like you are getting lots checked of your list
xxoo Beverly