Friday, January 20, 2023

Reading the news, drinking my coffee

So I woke up at 4am again, with full intention of going back to sleep. And here I am drinking coffee ... 

I soooooo love Craft in America! Always shows me some art form that I didn't think would be soooo interesting. Watched this on this morning ... featuring Saar family (Betye Saar, Alison Saar, and Maddy Leeser), Simon Rodia and Watts Towers, Diedrick Brackens, Ayumi Horie, Suzanne Thao, Mandora Young, Tousue Vang, Chef Yia Vang, and Mary Little. 

 

The Hmong segment was great."The Hmong — a distinct ethnic group with ancient roots in China—began coming to Minnesota in 1975 as refugees from the destructive wars that had ravaged their homelands in Laos. Today, there are more than 66,000 Hmong in Minnesota, and the Twin Cities metro is home to the largest concentration of Hmong in America." 

A segment on Watts Tower and the creator and all the artist who create there: "Sabato Rodia was born in Serino, Italy (AV) in 1879 and arrived in the United States around 1894. He came to Watts in 1921 at age 42 and was commonly known as "Sam". The Watts Towers of Simon Rodia, his masterpiece and the world’s largest single construction created by one individual, was his obsession for 33 years. He called it “Nuestro Pueblo” or “Our Town”. It is located in the community of Watts in South Central Los Angeles, California. 

The Watts Towers structure, consisting of seventeen major sculptures was created by Italian immigrant Sabato “Simon” Rodia out of steel covered with mortar and embellished by the decorative finishings of mosaic tiles, glass, clay, shells and rock. There is no welded inner armature. Rodia wired rebars together then wrapped this joint with wire mesh and hand packed it with mortar and his mosaic surface.




I also want to watch this Craft in America one about HOME. I was thinking yesterday about how small I  lived before I met David and had Matt. I have lived in the smallest apartments, with my huge, vintage. wooden drafting table where I worked and painted, always being the center of my space. Books, art, a sofa and of course, a TV. Sometimes a bed, sometimes not. I feel like I am reverting back into that person.

George Santos, a drag queen? This story gets better and better. This history books covering this time in our politics will be sooooo entertaining for future generations. Just think, trump's grandkids and great-grandkids will be reading about what a lying psychopath he was. MJT's grandkids can be informed what a real crazy woman she was.
So I read this moring, Microsoft is going to lay off 10,000, Google to lay off 12.000, Amazon laying off 18.000. Does not bode well for our economy. I keep warning Bri about what might be upcominig. Her business relies on wealthy clients who work for these kind of companies. It scares me.
 
Have been keeping with with this poor town in Arizona running out of water.

Holy Moly! In the wild rainforest of Australia’s north, park rangers have stumbled upon a predator so large they felt they had no choice but to dub it Toadzilla, weighing in at 6 lbs.

I  love this story: All aboard the Alaska pup bus

No comments: