Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Sharing grief, loss and moving on to cleaner drawers

I was thinking about the advice I give to one of my best friends, Ruth about cleaning her house. She is in her 80's and having a hard time just thinking about going through her stuff and getting rid of things. I always tell her, start with ONE drawer. Clean one drawer and it will start an avalanche. Well, while cooking my French Onion Soup today, I started cleaning out that ONE drawer. The drawer in your kitchen that collects everything. Ours has been out of control for a few months now. I emptied it, threw away, started over. It felt good. 

BTW, my French Onion soup turned out GREAT. The smashed sweet potatoes were a minute or two under the broiler too long. A little burnt around the edges, but tasted good. My cooking confidence might be returning.

My friend Robin, called me that her ex-partner called to tell her their dog Monkey was dying of mouth cancer and had a couple of days to live. I ask, how does a dog that has been fed organic food all of her life, have mouth cancer? But Monkey isn't the only precious pup passing away, there are many in the blog-universe. Pixie acts like a puppy zooming around, but she is having such a hard time eating. I am trying so many foods to get her interested. I watch her breath at night and think, is this the night?

And it started me thinking about dying in general. Pets are so close to us, so much like children. I mean losing my Scooter and Pebbles was NOT like losing David but the same daily pain follows. I look out from the back porch where David laid dead in the grass for a couple of hours and suffer. I was sharing with Mason when lost Pebbles the other day, and I suffer. Death is death. We love, we lose, we suffer. Death is a part of life and must be accepted in that manner. I guess, the hard part is being the one to be left to remember. If only for a while. Thank you, Angie for sharing!

5 comments:

beverly said...

Dogs die. But dogs live, too. Right up until they die, they live. They live brave, beautiful lives. They protect their families. And love us. And make our lives a little brighter. And they don't waste time being afraid of tomorrow.
Dan Gemeinhart ~

xxoo
Beverly

Joanne S said...

My Riley (black Lab) has been gone for years now- but he is still here with me and always will be......
Just as my father can be summoned by a memory or a set of words.......just as the rich old woman who was my cranky friend can be summoned when I sit at the sewing machine threading the needle. She called (summoned) me to her house to thread her sewing machine. I think she was just lonely.....but I always went.....and she would just happen to have coffee or a bowl of soup to share with me. Well, my thoughts wandered here but you get the lidea......

beverly said...

Oh my gosh that is the cutest video. That dog reminds me a lot our Skeeter Bean.
I think I will start cleaning out my drawers too.
Love French Onion soup

LindaSonia said...

Monkey youtube was the sweetest thing ever.

LindaSonia said...

As an aging adult with an aging cat living alone, I sometimes have the fear that the cat will find me deceased and what will she do....