Monday, September 12, 2022

Days that live forever

There are few days that stay with me all the time. 

9/11

1/6 

2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami

Boxing Day Tsunami 2004 

Maybe because I worked for a news outlet, maybe because I feel these events so vividly and can't just let them lay. I tried not to focus too much on 9/11 yesterday but I did end up watching some videos at the end of the day and felt that profound sadness again. The feeling of complete disbelief. All of those feelings of that morning watching it live on the news runs through my brain, waking up David saying, get up and get to work. Me listening to NPR describe in detail what was happening all the way to work and crying the entire trip.

Can't NOT help but put myself in those people's shoes that are burning to death with no escape. I am sure that most of us think of those poor souls. All of those passengers held captive in a death trap, them knowing they were probably going to die. The video I watched last night focuses on minute by minute details and one about the falling man and whether the news should have run such a deeply personal and painful moment of someones life. I am still confused how I feel about that but it did bring to sharp focus just how horrible this event was. 

For Christmas I made many of these hand-sewn folk art flags for ornaments to give away because it made me feel better.


4 comments:

Joanne S said...

The planes that were already coming in from Europe that day...landed up north of me here in Maine.
On an soon to be closed Navy Air Base. The runway close to my house on another navy base was too short. but they might have had to give it a try.......
the guys who blew up things- stayed over night in Portland Maine and flew out of our airport. so we Mainers have QUILT.

So...it was all very CLOSE and PERSONAL here. It was also silent. No birds, no cars, no nothing. Just silence.
And the next day the church bells- so very very sad.......bong....bong...bong.......endlessly at the Time of the first impact the day before And they did the bells each day at impact time. And everyone outside stood. Silent. Tears running down our faces.

LindaSonia said...

9/11 was like nothing quite imaginable for me. The image of the falling man was the.most.sorrowful thing ever. We watched it firsthand on TVs at my workplace. Paralyzed with disbekief. Still touches me so deeply.

LindaSonia said...

9/11 was like nothing quite imaginable for me. The image of the falling man was the.most.sorrowful thing ever. We watched it firsthand on TVs at my workplace. Paralyzed with disbelief. Still touches me so deeply.

Kim Carney said...

Joanne, church bells, so impactful! That is important, the silence that happened. I guess we were all in disbelief and just could not express it in words!

LindaSonia, even now, every time I see that image I burst into tears. That is was captured and shared still makes me sick but I do think it brought forth the tragedy of that day