Monday, September 26, 2022

Chef's Table, so much more than food

I searched this blog for Chef's Table and I am shocked that I have never mentioned or blogged about this show? If I really have not, shame on me! And I apologize for that.

I have been addicted to Netflix's Chef's Table for many years now. Not only does it have my favorite piece of music as the opener, the chefs they highlight are just fabulous. 

 

You think it is just going to be interviews with people who cook something fabulous and it is much, much more. Most usually bring tears to my eyes. Every season is has been amazing. Chef's Table is about innovation, regions, cooking, sustainability, family, restaurants industry, and so much more. The recent delivery is about pizza but I also ran across one that features a family restaurant in Spain. One of the brothers is a pastry chef, it focuses, Jordi Roca

The brothers, who own and run El Celler de Can Roca talk about the region where they grew up and the smell of the earth. They visit and collect some dirt where Jordi breaks it down and showcases it his “The Rainy Forest” ... distilled dirt as one of its edible components, to evoke a sense memory from childhood. 

 

He also infuses ice cream with cigar smoke for his "Trip to Havana". For Joan and Josep Roca, A Trip to Havana is the moment they realised Jordi had finally found his way as a dessert creator. “I began to get deeply involved in ice cream making techniques under the wing of the Sicilian Angelo Corvitto,” says Jordi. “One of the rules the master continuously repeated to me was that the work atmosphere needed to be kept completely pure. And that’s absolutely true. An ice cream is an emulsion in which air is a very important ingredient. An ice cream is a sponge for scents. This golden rule is what sparked my imagination. What would happen if I added smoke on purpose?” With the help of his father, Jordi created a water pump that drew smoke from a cigar directly into the ice cream maker. The ice cream was then presented in a cylinder of dark chocolate, to create a ‘cigar,’ and served with a 'mojito.'

I think it is the innovation, out-of-the-box thinking and devotion to family that inspire me the most.

I am going to include some trailers to convince you of how lovely and thought-provoking Chef's Table is. 

 

  

  

 

3 comments:

Joanne S said...

For all the YEARS I had Netflix- I adored Chef's Table. So Beautifully filmed.
Why I stopped having Netflix isn't clear.....I think because there was an over abundance of
cartoon like programs......I ended up watching the dark foreign Mysteries.
And I loved the GreatAmerican Baking Show.. I could call them and start again.
It can't be that difficult. I just run into this mind block of "I don't know how"

Kim Carney said...

I love those dark foreign mysteries that give me a headache trying to read the captions after a couple of hours LOL

Joanne S said...

I stopped reading them and just watched- never knowing what was going on. It reminded me so very much of living in Europe.
The Dark Days beginning in October. My children came home in the dark from school.