Monday, September 19, 2022

Propagating an old friend?

David and I went back to Flower World. I was hesitant to go but told him if we did, we promised not to purchase too many plants. 

We bought another Sweet Box and two Weigela for the back where the bushes were destroyed by the tree removers. And now the situation back there is all sun, so I think Weigela might work. Hummingbirds like them.  PS I love pink flowers.

I also bought one more hydrangea in a weak moment. A Hydrangea macrophylla 'Glowing Embers' which will replace the Nikko Blue that isn't doing very good back there. But I am going to try this method and propagate some of the old Nikko I have had for years. So now I think we need to hire someone to make sure we get all of these in the ground the next couple of days. Nikko blue is my favorite because of the beautiful fall transitions colors it gives us. 

I hate to even say this but sometimes I think will we not even be here by the time these plants start growing. We have to plant a tree and keep telling David, we won't even be around to see this tree reach the height we want. I can remember even when I was much younger, I would look at all the peonies blooming in my yard and say, Please let me be here one more year to see these again. Depressing thoughts I know, but it feels like I am just trying to keep it real. 

We saw a Crepe Myrtle tree, thought that might be a possibility for the back corner.  Saw a few others, but we need a fast growing tree, not too messy. Still investigating.


 In the fall, this is my Nikko many years ago.



No comments: