Saturday, August 27, 2005

Illustration Friday - Dream

This week's Illustration Friday word of the week is DREAM. When I was a little girl fairies would visit me during the night and to this day can remember every detail. They were very tiny and they gathered around my head to talk to each other. They were so small that their words were garbled to me. I would pretend to be asleep so I would not frighten them away. I still wonder why they chose me and if they ever come now.

IF_Dreams2

Later.... As some of you know I love Adobe Illustrator. It is a powerful program but you can make it as simple as you want. I don't like to do gradients and complicated stuff (the guys always like to do that complicated stuff), although I can when I am pushed. This is how long I have used the program - when I started using it you could only draw in OUTLINE (wire frame) mode and could occasionally preview IF you had enough memory. When we were doing gradients on maps and such, it was all in these weird black lines and shapes. You had to visualize what you were doing. Fun, and scary. Here is what my illustration looks like mostly in outline mode. I spent about 30 minutes on this, I used dotted line in strokes to created the blanket, and mask out the eclipse shape, then added more circles to accomodate my fairy throwing her fairy 'sweet dreams' dust. For those of you new to Illustrator, if you ever have a question, I can always try and answer it.

Dream_preview

21 comments:

Mick said...

Another great illustration...and, as violet said, the story is wonderful too!

carla said...

Beautiful colors and a beautiful story, and I love the twinkle toes on the fairy!:> I always enjoy your illustrations>

Cin said...

your sweet dream fairy is a delight!

Dana S. Whitney said...

I concur... great colors and graphic sensibility. Was this Photoshop? Painter? I like the details in the quilt! You entertain the eye with your subtle surprises.

Alison Ashwell said...

This is great. Lovely colours too

PaintMonster said...

yeah, very sweet illustration.
I love it!

Rowantree said...

Lovely story and very well illustrated !

Anonymous said...

Very charming.

Kim Carney said...

Thank you everyone! I did this in Adobe Illustrator then transfered over to photoshop to compress. I was hoping that someone else had had the 'fairy' experience. I had one best friend who had almost the same experience I did. It was really great. (Carla, the favorite part are the little fairy twinkle shoes, I added them at the last minute)

Anonymous said...

I do hope your fairies still visit. I believe in fairies :) Nice job in Illustrator - I like the fairy dust!

Unknown said...

you KNOW I love this! One of your best yet! :) GREAT colors!! :)

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Thanks for the technique expl. I love your night colors, it really feels moonlit glowey.

Anonymous said...

Awesome...I love the letters, the colors. Wonderful work.

Anonymous said...

Love the illustration and the idea of fairies visiting you... sweet...

Tara's Art Camp said...

I love this illustration Kim. Nice work and personal story.

Tony LaRocca said...

Those fairies- tell them, they're in America, they should speak English ;) They might have been using your face as a base of operations. Sneaky little fairies... :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and fun illustration, Kim! Also sorry to hear you're sick. Looks like Pica's also keeping you warm! What a sweetie! Feel better real soon. : )

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I love the warm colors on the fairy against the cool colors on the rest of the illustration. I also love the letters in the fairy dust.

wynlen
wynleDesign

Jeope said...

Ahhh, our little Illustrator faerie. Kim, I know who to get in touch with now that Adobe's bought out Freehand. I just might call on ya someday with a big bag of questions!

Nice job!

bee'nme said...

Just delightful Kim! You can always be counted on to bring a smile or make us think..or both :o)What a great story too!

Julie Oakley said...

Lovely illustration