Monday, June 27, 2005

Illustration Friday - Heroes

Illustration Friday this week is Heroes - a person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.

The first person that comes to mind was
Rosa Parks. I also have many personal heroes, my gentle grandfather, of Choctaw Indian descent, orphaned at 12, who went to work to support his brother and sister. My mother who has always been a tower of strength and has endured some horrible events, still retaining her humor and dignity. My Junior High English teacher, Mrs. Hunt, whom I loved, respected and she later died of a brain tumor. Most of my heros are women I have had, and have in my life - strong, loving, supportive, giving, endurable women. Flo, Faith, Irene, Ruth, Virginia, Lucy, to name a few that have touched my life in many ways.

Photoshop illustration, taking the orginal photo, making many layers, altering constrast, threshold, adding color, using the blur tool to soften pixel edges, redrawing her glasses in Illustrator, import and setting the Soft. Using different brushes to create border. I added the original photo where her glasses vanished. I copied PSD into Illustrator and just winged the shape and also another polygon with a white fill. Making both layers soft light blending, the glass part less opaque that rim.



16 comments:

isay said...

i truly admire her also. beautiful illustration!

Jeope said...

Nice job, Kim. Nice tone. My only qualm is that I can't see it even bigger! Mostly because I was curious to see the Illustrator-rebuilt glasses.

PS: What's the font used here?

Dummiest popcorn girl in the world said...

Very nice illo! I dunno why is so charming ^^

Kim Carney said...

Thank you all. It was a quick and dirty photo-illo. Jeope, I used Virus font (for mac) and if you want email me kimberlycarney at hotmail dot com and i will send it to you. I also added a lame attempt to explain what I did for glasses.

atomicvelvetsigh said...

like your originality. nice work and she is indeed an interesting subject for a "hero"

Anonymous said...

Good choice as she's indeed a hero. Love the piece, Kim. You're my designer hero!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful hero and wonderful illustration...

violetismycolor

Amy said...

This is such a beautiful piece, Kim. The colors and textures are great.

I'm with Paula, you're my designer hero too.

Anonymous said...

It was interesting to read about Rosa Parks. She reads as someone I like. You have also done a great image to give her justice :)

Mick said...

Hi Carney!
I absolutely LOVE this piece...it blew me away. I especially enjoyed seeing the way you worked with the photo of Rosa...then, when you click on the illustration it opens up in another page all by itself, surrounded by white space and just shouts "hip" at you. A great, big, gigantic, monumental, wonderous "WOW"!!!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful. This would make a lovely poster for a school or as a gift to someone during Black-History Month. You really should do something with this! (bookmarks, poster, T-shirts etc.) Ck out www.RosaParks.org. Seriously, you should do it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful illo. I always like when someone has a story about the illo and some info on how it was done.

Tony LaRocca said...

Very nicely done! I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

This is so very well done - and a great subject for the theme. It's warm, modern but timeless. Kinda like Rosa - fitting illustration.

Anonymous said...

ooops, hit enter too fast - so there's a broken link. Bit it gives me another change to say well done!

Anonymous said...

As usual I'm blown away by your talent.