Friday, June 17, 2022

The right setting

Noah and I stopped by Walmart to get their favorite ice cream sandwiches, the kids love them. But I made a mistake of purchasing frozen pie crust pastry shells there. Never again. They broke apart and were less than 1/2 deep, if that. Not a good base for a quiche. I am eating it now and lesson learned. 

David grilled two Chilean Sea Bass last night. He has only cooked that once before, in a tomato base for a Christmas dinner years ago. This time he used a Chili-Lime marinade. It was out of this world and he assures me that it says sustainably grown on the packaging. As one of the sides, he chose A Dozen Cousins Cuban Black Beans. A single serving microwavable package of soft and creamy, slow-simmered with mild spices, this Cuban-inspired recipe will melt out of your bowl and stick to your ribs, in about a minute!

For Father's Day he is planning ribs and BBQ. Mason and I have been planning on what theme we are using for the table. I am voting for the Cowboy set with the Star seating card holders that Mason is planning on filling out. We could also bring out the "gather around the campfire" Vintage Monterrey Western Ware Metal Enamelware Dish Set. I have red and blue plates with bowls and matching cups and about  6 cowboy themed ones with cups. I will let Mason make that hard decision. I wish I could remember where this blue jean table cloth with pockets I made is in the house!

It is a fun dinner when we have a formally, but fun set table. The kids love it, especially Mason, who is great at participating in the design of the table. We put out all the candle holders, I have several themes, and light all the candles I have hanging around the house and eat by candle light. I wish I still had the branches hanging from the ceiling, those were so much fun to decorate. I have thought about doing it again but I don't have a truck that I can just stop and throw some fallen big tree branch in back. I kept building on the last one, but then discovered spiders had taken up residency and it had to go.

On these occasions, Noah also gets a fancy place setting and real silverware. I have a set of "fancy-looking" water glasses - Anchor Hocking Wexford waffle pattern glass water glasses, other large goblets, all purchased at the Goodwill so are not too fragile or precious for kids to use. Actually all of my fancy, miss-matched wine glasses and vintage water goblets, are Goodwill back when you could find such things there. Anyway, it is always fun and a time to remember for all of us.


No comments: