Monday, March 21, 2022

Connecting to the natural world

My name is Brett Stenson! I am a multi-disciplinary artist, designer, letterer, and haphazardly-ambitious craftsperson who specializes in simplistic illustration, busted folky letters and sculptural figures inspired by the outdoors and our connection to the natural world. One would say, based on my massive and semi-regrettable stomach tattoo that I am indeed from the Midwest, however I lived everywhere from Hilo, Hawaii to Ayer, Massachusetts in my lifetime and – heck, I was born in Alaska! Traveling that much as a young pup exposed me to a lot of corners of the United States as well as the different varieties of people and environments throughout the country. 

Why do you go to great lengths to spend time in nature, like cycling all day, bike packing, camping and fishing? 

Getting outside is my church. I've never been much of a theologian, but there's something about the silence on a lake at 5am in a kayak, waiting for fish to wake up for breakfast. Or taking a long bike ride through 65 million year old canyons exuding dinosaur bones into the ground below – it feels heavenly and like a gift from another plane of existence. I cherish every single time I get out there, where I forget what a computer is and remain present. Cycling has had an immense impact on my life since I was a little kid, and has come and gone in different ways throughout time. Nowadays, I love taking day trips gravel-riding in Oregon through forests and high deserts to experience the ancient sculptures of our landscape. It fills my cup, gives me inspiration in my work, and teaches me a lot about what truly speaks to me subconsciously.





 

 
More of Brett's prints here. And on Instagram

No comments: