Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Love Poppies

I love the paper-like quality of the petals. I love how all of those petals can emerge from such a small space. I love the colors. I love the long stems holding the flower to the sky ... little hairs covering it. I love how the unopened bud will bow its head while the flowering one has its moment in the sun. I love the shape of the seed pods. I love the way the seed pods are channeled, the way they release their seeds. I bought some more to plant. Some from last years crop have disappeared from the garden.

poppies

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love poppies too Kim, they look so fragile yet put on such a show. Beautiful shot!

vicci said...

Hi Kim Girl!!!! I love poppies also....the crepe looking petals...and the colors....divine! :-)

Kerstin Svendsen said...

i love your photo and your description.

mimi k said...

Oh, I am a huge poppy fan too- and it is poppy season in my garden right now. Your photo is beautiful- I know how hard it is to photograph them.

Ellene McClay said...

Your photography is fabulous, and I love the camouflage collage-very vintagey!

dee said...

the camo collage is touching-thanks. in our garden the poppies dissappeared. They were my MILs favorite and became mine. When she passed away it's almost as if she took them with her-I must get some more of my own. so very beautiful

S'mee said...

"poppies! poppies!"

One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, one of my favorite flowers!

thanks!

phlegmfatale said...

I love every stage of the Iceland poppy - absolutely enchanting flower. How did those fragile, papery petals come out of that other-worldly, whiskery little brutish face of a bud? And have you ever picked apart a dry seed pod? I call them seed condominiums, because it's like a high-rise apartment building in miniature. All the little chambers stacking the seeds upward, waiting for the lift of an accommodating breeze to liberate the seeds and spread the beauty!