Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Night Owl

My Owl Barn: Owl Lover 2011 Calendar, adorable! Free! And more adorable Owls and Pears.

I had busy day today. I dressed in my "grown-up" clothes and headed over to my career counselor. That was a good meeting.

I stopped off at the Goodwill to look for more ceramic bowls and spent a very long time digging through layers of stuff on every shelf. Hey, do you ever find yourself pairing up stuff that needs to be sold together on the Goodwill shelves? I found some green tea cups that totally matched German made plates ... so I decided they should be together. Pottery Barn bowls that belong to the matching plates, I put them together. Some silver rimmed Japanese plates that mismatched some cups ... put them together. I don't know what compels me to do that ... but I MUST when I am there! I found a cool doll display cabinet that I think I can use in some assemblage art. Lots of ceramic and glass vases. Stuff I really didn't need. I spirited it all in after David had gone to work. He will go ballistic if he sees more "junk" making its' way into my studio. '0

Got home to do some work for Robin, who had a very interesting week ... more to come on her blog since I am the BM (blog master). But my main focus was finishing up work for Rick. Which I spent the rest of the day working on. And now at 8:30pm, I am calling it a day! Good night! See you at 4a ... unless I can sleep in.

7 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

NO! I've never had the idea to merchandise a Goodwill shelf--Only you would have the eye for that!

You did a good deed!

E said...

Hey Kim, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I LOVE YOUR BLOG! So full of pretty things, it always makes me smile. One beautiful owl calendar, coming my way. Thanks for the tip! x

Natalie Thiele said...

I do love Goodwill, went there for my birthday last month, but I have never done any styling in the store. I look at their plates, too, for doing mosaics, but I don't see the depth of styles or colors in my Goodwill. I also don't see handmade bowls floating through with regularity. Lucky you.

Kim Carney said...

Ha! I think they need help in that area. I will see a bowl that belongs to a set in another isle! Now that is just sad, if someone purchased 3 and left the 4th on isle 5!

Thank you Eri, that is so sweet of you! I love that owl calendar

Natalie ... I think there is an ceramic school or something near this Goodwill, because I regularly find the best hand thrown stuff, signed.
I was addicted to china/plates a couple of years ago so I went regularly in search of ... if you are serious about finding stuff there back then it had to be daily ... so I would see this pattern all the time ... making a connection with like-things ...
I can see someone's belongings ... from isle to isle. I saw it yesterday. Maybe someone has died and most of their belongings have been given away. It always makes me sad .. but once I start seeing the pattern I feel like I have to go track down the rest. Just to see it. WEIRDO, I know!

xoxo everyone.

Catherine dee Auvil said...

My son said he hates going in Goodwill because he said it makes him think about the people who have died. I like Goodwill because they take the chaos of donations and they sort everything out into categories: wood items, metal items, electronic, clear glass, green glass, etc. It's very calming for me to look at.

Rebeka Russell said...

Hi there - thanks so much for linking to Owls and Pears! I love your blog - delighted to have discovered you.

Kim Carney said...

I was so lucky to find your Owls and Pears! Thank you, Rebeka!