Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Woof Weaving

I have a wonderful weaving friend named Susan. She doesn't just weave, she knits, she spins, she dyes her own yarn and she makes the best pastry crust and has excellect taste in old furniture. A very talented woman and a true friend. It is not just our creativity that bonds us, or that we have similar taste, that we love fiberarts (she does it, I just dream about it) but mainly because of our love of animals, dogs in particular. She owns them large and many. When I first met Susan she had a hip problem. She also had dogs to walk. One in particular caught my fancy and my heart. An enormous brindle Great Dane name Ruger and he was so very regal. It was my privilege to have him walk me, which is what happens when you are walking a dog the size of a pony. The night Susan called to tell me Ruger had passed away I cried as if one of my best buddies had gone. He had a great life, had lost his eyesight but remained indepedent, happy. And in the end, in bad health, Susan sat by his side until the end, loving every second she could still be his.
Susan has been weaving the most amazing scarves. I whipped up a snappy little logo (Susan has a particular love for Wolf Hounds and has a few) and off she went getting busy creating things of beauty. I have taken a few photos, not very good photos, of some of the scarves modeled by Susan's grand-daughters. I really should take a digital photography class that I keep thinking about signing up for!




scarf2

scarf3

scarf5

No comments: