Sunday, March 19, 2023

Little pity party

Nothing can make you feel smaller than to discover your neighbor has been going through months of hell. 

Matt came over and FIXED the honeysuckle. It had fallen to the ground almost two years ago, so long that it had all taken root in very strange places. My Japanese Anemones have disappeared. My Peace Rose was growing up through the honeysuckle fallen to the ground. And I have bitched about this for years. David had started a fix, over-complicated trellis cemented in the ground and steel beams to stabilize. 

Every Christmas, Mother's Day, Birthday, I was promised my honeysuckle was on the list of presents. And today was my gift was delivered. I got to trim the Mock Orange that had grown out of control that I had no access to. 

Yesterday, I was thinking about the guy who mowed the yard last year. And I swear, not one hour later, he was in my front yard! I saw him through the window and gave him the thumbs up for mowing and cleaning up. He does not speak English. I was so happy. I probably paid him more money than I should have.

But then my neighbor came over to ask me a question and then told me 3 weeks after D's heart attack, he also had one and was rushed off for a quadruple bypass. OMG, I said. Then on top of that, he was also going through prostrate cancer treatments. Then he fell and had a big gash and stitches in his head. And his wife fell in the backyard and broke her arm. I mean, please, that is enough for one family to go through!

I was talking to Matt later, saying how badly I felt for my neighbor while I was going through my little pity-party next door. How small I feel. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

No comments: