Wednesday, February 01, 2023

Dots and daubs, and the wholeness of a circle

I can not be trusted with a bag of chocolate covered graham crackers! Period. 

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the kid's house at night. Last night Mason told me that she would change my diapers. ??? I said, I hope it does not come to that. I mean, what are they discussing over there to bring that up in conversation.

The other day she said something about me being an 'old lady". It does not bother me, but the woman who lives across the street is my age and grey. I told Mason, you can call me an old lady but don't ever call any older person that ... it might hurt their feelings. She understood. Oh, the innocence and honesty. 

Woke up very early, as usual. Could not go back to sleep. Decided to go ahead and make coffee. Have on a mystery that I have watched before but really can't remember the plot or outcome ... Hinterland. Troubled detective based in Wales.

I need to get the kids to read over my estate planning document this week so I can make my appointment with the lawyer. She keeps asking when.  

Ann Marie Coolick is an impasto painter from Arlington, VA focusing on colorful abstractions and expressionist landscapes using only palette knives and heavy body paint straight from the tube. She slathers frosting-like paint layer upon layer onto the canvas with paint running off the edges, resulting in a sculptural, three-dimensional appearance. Her "Polka Daubs" series explores the deconstruction of color and texture into their simplest form.

Stuart Hartley loves his dots.
Connected. These structures are very soothing to look at.
 
Circles are not just geometrical symbols but are also what makes life possible. The sun is a circle, and so is the moon, and even more importantly, so is the cycle of life. Circles are also an intricate part of nature; time occurs in repetitive cycles in the form of days, months, and years, and seasons of the year occur in repetitive cycles of spring, summer, autumn, and winter. It’s, therefore, no wonder that the astronomer-physicist Chet Raymo says that all beginnings wear their endings.
 
Being one of the oldest geometric symbols, the circle has earned itself a name and respect in both education and culture. It’s a universal sign, with almost all cultures revering it as a sacred symbol. The circle represents limitless things, among them eternity, unity, monotheism, infinity, and wholeness.

No comments: