Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Listening in

I signed my will and all of those legal documents, had the attorney do the house probate stuff and I feel so relieved to get that over with. 

I visited Costco to find/order glasses for my new prescription. He says I have cataracts in both eyes now and the glasses might not help with the night/light/blurriness, but I am willing to give it a try. The next step, would be a surgery option. Mom had it years ago and I remember her doing okay. 

Then I gave myself the big talk, DO NOT GOT INTO THIS STORE! But I had the cart, and well, I thought I would saunter over the wine section. Then mayyybbbeee to see the cheeses. Of course I could not resist the spring green box that last forever but is such a bargain. And some lady talked me into buying a 6-pack of lentil soups. And mushrooms, again, a bargain. And olive oil, the only thing I really needed. The good news is I managed to be under $100, that is a first time for me. The bad news is, I had parked in a place impossible to push that cart up to. Anyway, after hauling those boxes up all the stairs into the house, I have decided my Costco shopping days might be over and is something I send the kids to do for me.

Then I decided I deserved a Panera chocolate croissant, right across the street from Costco. I spied a soup I have to go back to try, Chicken Tikka Masala Soup. Maybe I will take to kids out to dinner there. 

I noticed something different and interesting about myself today at Costco. It is not so much I was listening to people's conversations on purpose, but I was picking up conversations as I passed them. Two guys were commenting on how good some product was, one of them told the other one, I can make it for you in the most loving way. Two elderly women were talking what sounded like gossip. And many others. I have never noticed that I do this in the past and I started wondering if it is because I am so alone and silent all day, not really saying a word to anyone. To the point when I answer the phone, I find my voice gravely and cracking. I have to explain it is the first time I have used my voice today. I guess it sort of like talking to yourself, which I do much more of now. I also talk to Pixie more, too bad she does not hear me.

I ran across this on some random blog and thought it was interesting. Insects in Art and Religion: The American Southwest.





No comments: