Monday, October 24, 2022

Quilting and thinking of Peggy

I found a quilting blogger who lives in this state on Wednesday's Child this morning. I love to find new bloggers. You know when you think you have seen every blog, every website, nothing new then you find one. It is exciting. I mean, I know I have seen "every website" but it just feels like it sometimes. Anyway, from there, I found a bunch of other quilting sites that got me all excited. Recalculating is a quilting, artist, blogger,.

I sure wish my M-I-L, Peggy, was still around so I could buy her some of these quilting patterns from Whole Circle Studio for Christmas. She was such a great quilter! Technical, organized, a mathematician. I am just a hack when I tried to quilt. I mean that didn't mean I loved it any less but my quilts are more rough folk art than technical works of art. When she would visit we could go to all the local quilting stores. She made us some beautiful quilted pieces and I treasure them. When she moved out of her home into assisted living. David, his sister and brother  went to Kansas to help her pack up and clear out. It literally broke my heart to think of her having to get rid of all of her fabrics and quilting supplies. I put myself in her shoes and just cried.

But guess what? David brought boxes and boxes and boxes of treasures home. Once when she moved and the second time when she passed away. Most of those boxes are unopened in the basement. We never got around to opening them with the kids here and all the stuff going one. I saw those boxes the other day.

It might be time to get Mason involved in some sewing and quilting fabric hoarding ... you know, pass it on to the younger generation. When I get the table cleaned off, I am going to set up two sewing machines, dig through all of those boxes and Mason and I are going to get busy making our own Gee's Bend type of quilts!

3 comments:

beverly said...

What a beautiful story.

Angie said...

What a fun thing to for you to do with your granddaughter!! Oh how fun it would be to pull those boxes out and sift the treasure in them! Wish I were nearby so I could play with in them with you. :D

Joanne S said...

Yes, Angie- I , too, would get a thrill going thru those boxes!!!!!!!! I was in the Attic yesterday looking for an empty container
so I could get the Fabric Clutter off the Ottoman (where I sit and read and do little sewing) and possibly get some work done. the clutter is now in a tub. Filled to the top.
I just finished a load of wash and now am making a fresh cup of coffee. But keep glancing over to the Tub...........