Monday, April 25, 2022

Funday!

We call Monday Funday, it is Noah babysitting day, and now add Murphy into the mix. 

David and I made BIG progress yesterday cleaning the yard. I almost got the entire rock patio clean of all grass and weeds! The Corsican Mini Ornamental Mint ground cover I have been babying for years is finally filling in so extracting grass without pulling it all out is very tricky. I discovered a Kenworth Ivy, I thought they had all died. And the wild violets are are popping up everywhere. Although I think Muphy wore down all the ground cover we had. David's poor lawn, was once beautiful, is now a big, muddy pond where the kids put the kid pool and Murphy had fun running around in the mud during rainstorms. Planted some new mint in pots. All three of the scented geraniums did not make it through winter. The two new clematis I ordered in Feb arrived and I need to get those into the ground this week. Anyway, after years of neglect, it is going to take some time to get the yard back in shape.



I bought two Meadow Rues to replace the one I lost last year. I had it for years and sad to see it go! Chinese Meadow Rue and Thalictrum 'Black Stockings'. These are spectacular little flowers and such an addition to a garden.


I made a spinach and aspargus quiche last night, had that, sautéed mushrooms for breakfast. I used half milk and half heavy cream, feta cheese, Gruyere made this really dense and rich. Used the leftover asparagus from Easter. David will not eat it, more for me.

I want to make this couscous salad that mom and I had at the SF museum many years ago and I always think about it. We made it together once. Couscous, cranberries, diced cucumbers, mint, parsley and lots of stuff ... the most expensive item in it is the Champagne Vinegar. I bought some yesterday and it was over $9 for a small bottle. 

Did I mention I tried the Easy Chocolate Pots de Crème, so rich I am even having a hard time eating it. I am going to try the cooked/egg version next time. Oh, and happy to hear Macron won. Working in the yard yesterday and cooing at least kept me from watching trump and his rally of cult members.

No comments: