Friday, January 14, 2005

Linens And Lace

If I ever lost the weight I have gained in the last 13 years, I would buy this 1910 Hand-embroidered silk walking suit or this 1930 Ivory lace/silk dress, and definitely this Fortuny Delphos Gown , well, okay, I can't afford the Fortuny dress, but I could daydream about it with a little more ferver! What blushing bride would not look lovely in this 1912 Handmade Irish lace gown. From Battenburg Lace Jackets to my all time favorites -- Crisp Linen Walking Suits, there is a plethora of vintage purchasing that could be done on the internet. I hate to complain, but I really hate current fashion trends. I wore the hip-huggers, the mid-drifts in High School, looked as terrible then as they do now. I like the Out-Of-Africa look of the 80's, long, flowing cotton skirts, crisp linen shirts, pleated-wide legged trousers. You know, something that Katherine Hepburn wouldn't mind wearing in her 30's. I have watched and longed for Mrs. Bradley's wardrobe from PBS Mysteries Series.

I wore Annie Hall before Diane Keaton ever even filmed the movie. Men's wool pleated trousers I bought at Salvation Army for 10 cents each with soft, worn men's khaki work shirts. Occassionally I featured a wild, magical and bewitched hairdo ala Endora. I always wished to be her. For a girl attending way, way West Texas Jr. College, most thought I had lost my marbles.
Today I am a boring dresser. I have 4 pair of of winter pants, and matching sweater (yawn). I like Bryn Walker wool look in the winter, and the linen shirt/cropped flood pant in the summer. I want to have this Assymetrically Layered Dress custom made, it was very reasonable.

No comments: