Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Something Very Special

My dad and step-mom sent me the most wonderful necklace for my birthday. And here is what they say about it "The necklace was picked for this reason. The circle represent our eternal love, the stone is the base core and the strength of family, the leather strand means a two strand bond cannot be broken and the Turquoise is the color you put in our lives. The jewelry was to symbolize our love to you every time you look at it." Thank you! It is the perfect present.

necklace

My parents divorced when I was very young in a time when there were not many "divorced" parents. It was strange to have two of everything, but most of my life I did. Two sets of parents, two set of grandparents and the list goes on ... a little confusing but alot wonderful. This is my dad, step-mom, brothers and sister. My sister is a mini-me, but she is the much-more talented one (baking, sewing, "doing"). My step-mom should have been a lawyer. She and I are polar opposites (D and R) and we have great debates when I visit (or via email) and she is very persuasive in her theories and beliefs. (My son says, "You guys were arguing about this the LAST time we were here".) I admire her most because she has a point of view and stands by that, she has a mind and isn't afraid to use it. My brothers are smart, witty, warm and wonderful. J searches out our Choctaw heritage in his quiet way, collecting artifacts and storing it all away. My step-brother is hysterical and I miss talking to him. My dad's DNA is where all of my creativity comes from, so I will blame him when I go completely mad. My aunt Lucy and I are so much alike. She has and always will be my hero, if I could live up to her energy and creativity I would consider myself "achieved".

So if you don't have "two of everything" ... you don't know what you are missing ;) And yes, I look just like my dad and my grandmother!

My family

8 comments:

firstborn studio said...

beautiful family!

Balwearie said...

What a lovely necklace! And how refreshing it is to hear that all divorced families are at each other's throats.

Amy said...

I love to see family group pictures. The necklace is wonderful and looks so great with that shirt!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a gift they gave you...and I'm not just talking about the necklace.
a.

Cally said...

wow, what a lovely thing to say when giving you the necklace! great story about the family too... and did I ever say how much I like your photo (on main page) on your blog, you have the warmest smile and sparkly eyes, it's a good blog photo. I've yet to commit to one.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

that necklace is gorgeous..and how wonderful that they shared those lovely words with you as well...
families can be so very interesting...and i love this image of embracing two of everything.

phlegmfatale said...

Beautiful necklace, beautiful photograph, - lovely happy family - and I've always known you look like Big Mama, but your eyes are so like your father's. Also a great illustration that ideological differences are no match for familial affection.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday....your gift and family are both lovely.