Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Shell Shock

I have been collecting shells from Thrift stores in hopes of making some of those wonderful 'Victorian Shell Art ' I had mentioned in a previous post. Shell necklaces, shell lamp shades (?), taking them apart with the idea of re-using them for something. I started with a very simple birdhouse. Not exactly what I had in mind of making, but at least I finished it. I covered a thriftstore purchased frame and I like it. It is a little more difficult than I had envisioned. Trying to decide what size shell, what color. I have several projects started by 'made' myself finish two just to have that sense of accomplishment.

shell birdhouse

works pace

I am hoping to embroidery a pretty little "scene" to go in my frame (later).

Shell Frame

5 comments:

Amy said...

The frame turned out nice and the birdhouse is so sweet. I could see it mounted on a spindle and sticking up out of a beachside garden.

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

Well you're doing way better on your birdhouses than I am. This shell one is wonderful. Mine are a bit, well, crooked and bent and all rotten and stuff.
Someday I'll get out there to that barn and do more. Maybe you just inspried me.

Anonymous said...

You and my sister (queen conch) are birds of a feather...I haunt the thrift stores for shell necklaces for her, she applies them to old frames and cuts used pieces of mirror to fit. Some necklaces are just too wonderful to go under the glue gun and hang from an old hook in my bathroom! Your frame is a brilliant piece of crafting.

Anonymous said...

I was all over the Internet last night, searching for great seashell inspirations. Here are a few:

1) www.shabbyfufu.com/lamps-chandeliers

2) shellartist.com/images. Frame 4, Mirror 01, Cross 25, Large White Box that looks like there's meringue on top, and 7" x 9" Frame, very ornate but gorgeous.

3) Stephen Calloway wrote an article "Shells" with spectacular pictures. I cut it out years ago but the magazine isn't identified. There's a huge photo of "a modern re-creation of a lost Georgian mantelpiece in the Bath House at Walton in England" It's a festoon (?), probably 3-4 feet under a mantel, all shells. Same house has a room with huge swags of all shells over the windows. Amazing.

I have a great photo of a seashell chandelier (not the tourist ones you see) that is so elegant. I'm going to make one someday. When I put my hands on the picture, I'll let you know.

I love meeting other obsessive people. I'm moving in 2 weeks and I've been reading about shells all weekend.

I hope someday my work will look like yours, lovely and precise.

Best, Carol

bd said...

I love your placement and color use of the shells on both pieces; lovely work.