Friday, September 15, 2006

Studio Friday - Floral Treat

I did not grow up in a house that we owned. I lived in apartments and rentals all of my life. So when we purchased this house, our house, my first house, at the age of 36, experimenting growing flowers in my first garden was a treat, a constant experiment. I have had an experiment growing back there ... have finally narrowed it down to a few of my favorites that I grow now. Then I started photographing them with my little Nikon Coolpix 900 many, many years ago. With every image that appeared on my screen from my camera, from my eye, from my flower -- I was thrilled, excited, enchanted. I found macro (Raynox lens) photography and spent time in our local nurseries photographing flowers. My peonies, the beloved hydrangeas, my few remaining roses, all become the focal point of my awe and love. So Floral Treat for me, for Studio Friday, is a dream. Not in art but in photography. I am not a photographer, but my flowers have made me become an aspiring photographer -- in trying to capture their magic. I feel it is my privilege everytime I photograph some beautiful, living thing that is growing in my backyard. I could not make any art that is more beautiful than the real thing, that inspire me everyday to get out my camera and capture the moment.

This is a piece that I submitted Humus, but never hear back from them, so I am guessing they did not pick my submission for their site.



Peonies in vases from my yard, my beloved hydrangeas, macro flower experiments.

The last ones

Hydrangea

Marigold unfolding

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful Kim. Absolutely beautiful.

Anonymous said...

The hydrangeas (and what you've done with them) are beautiful. There's grace in it.

Thanks, too, for the Ann Richards post. She left a trail of "it's better than it was" behind her.

(Not my intent to post this anonymously, but am on blogger beta & can't post comments on non beta blogs...yet.)

Megan -- http://dotintime.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

WoW the little teeny tiny center in the top hyrangea photo is soooo intricate. Seeing bits like that just keeps me in awe of the hand of God in nature.

Anonymous said...

You are a photographer, I admire your work so you'v gotta be!

Paula Adams Perez said...

These are beautiful, I love the blue hydrangea art! Have you ever heard of the Floral Design Institute in Seattle? http://www.floraldesigninstitute.com/page002.06.02.000.htm
I have gone there twice for classes, and I think you'd love it. It's fun to do with a girl friend! And you get to come home with your creation!

Anonymous said...

you are such a wonderful photographer; i bet your home are filled with them!

AtPlayWithFiber said...

Beautiful flowers and pictures!! Thanks for sharing!! :D

Unknown said...

Love thbe hydrangea piece...beautiful

Ouissi x

Laura Williams said...

ohh kim!!! i don't know which one i like the best! they are GORGEOUS!!! love the flowers and love them as photos!!! beautiful work!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Absolutely breathtaking!

Kendra said...

I LOVE the last photo of the green flower! I just think the perspective and angle are just so cool! That's my kind of style! Great post!

pangolin said...

You are so clever. I wish I could grow peonies. Id love to see your garden - but this picks are enough to make me smile.

FreddieGirl said...

Stunning, absolutely stunning. Thank you for such beautiful pics. Like a garden come alive in the blog-o-sphere.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous macro work

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I love the peony the most.

Janet said...

Your flower photos are some of my favorites. My hubby is interested in photography and I have showed them to him, too. He asked what kind of camera you use to get the sharp, clear close-ups.

I'm always smiling when I see your flowers....please, keep sharing them.

Kerri Jean said...

love your photography. very O'keefe like in the way you get so close as to change the perspective of the flowers. all wonderful feast for the eyes. thank you.

Tracy said...

I love your hydrangea shot, and the decontructed doodles on it.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful. I think you are a photographer, these are inspiring images.

My flower beds seem to be a thing of the past, but you've reminded me of the joy they can bring.