Sunday, August 31, 2008

Very Crunchy Granola

Mom made this today, recipe from my neighbor (mom didn't get the cookbook title). It is so delicious.

Nonstick spray
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup oat bran (or wheat)
1 cup almonds (the recipe also calls for sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds)
1 cup pecans
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1 T vanilla
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup brown sugar

(mom added a dried cherry, cranberry, blueberry, blackberry mix she got at the store and these delicious golden raisins she gets at our local Star market).

1. Preheat oven to 325 (13x9) tray
2. Combine oats, bran and nuts
3. Combine oil, honey and vanilla. Pour over mix (using hands if necessary)
4. Stir in salt
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes until , stir twice during backing
6. Crumble in sugar as soon as granola comes out of oven and cool in tray
7. After cooling, add dried fruit.
8. Store in jar in freezer (2-3 qt capacity jars)

I am very excited to take this to work, to eat with yogurt? I get so hungry about 8am when I wake up so early.

granola

6 comments:

Erin said...

Mmmmm! Thank you :)
I went vegetarian a while ago, and am always looking for good stuff like this to add to my life.

Kim Carney said...

my neighbor gave this to my other neighbor who is painting my house. They pulled out these individual packages while we all were scraping the house. I was blown away. So I ask mom to run across and get the recipe ... and it seems word had traveled because everyone was over there for the recipe. Mom later ran into most of the neighbors at the grocery store also buying the "makings" ') I am not really a "healthy" eater, so I am thinking this will be a good change for me in the morning! Let me know what you think.

Visual-Voice said...

I'm on a granola kick right now, so I thinkz I'mz going to tryz this!

dee said...

Oh does that look good. I love granola-my family doesn't. Good-more for me! They refer to it as sticks & twigs. What do they know?

S'mee said...

When Thor dies (not that it's happening anytime soon, but...) can I come live with you?

lisawilkins said...

I just ate some that Kim brought into work (thank you! b/c I forgot my breakfast this am!). As my dad would so eloquently say "If this were on top of your head, your tongue would beat you senseless trying to get to it"