Saturday, July 02, 2022

Celebrity culture and pop art of Andy Warhol

I screwed up dinner last night, again. I swear, I am going to stay out of the kitchen except for the simplest of meals that I have made before. The upside, it gives me ready food to feed to the dogs. 

I watched Andy Warhol Diaries on Netflix. If you have Netflix it is worth watching. Of course we all know who he is and his adventures in life. But a closer look shows us he was much more complicated, insecure and an attention whore than I knew. It is sad really. I know people like him, who just have to be in the spotlight, surrounded by the famous and rich. He was so insecure about his looks that he surrounded himself with "beautiful people". Of course we are familiar with his celebrity silkscreens but I really like his early works.

His complicated relationships with artists Jean-Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring. It is also a very sad reminder of the beginning of the AIDS crisis, all of those deaths, and the utter chaos surrounding AIDS. I had many friends die during that time. Warhol was so suspicious of AIDS and his friends with AIDS that he would not drink after them and had his clothes washed separately than theirs. It was a confusing time. His romantic relationship and break-up with Jon Gould, very handsome, dynamic Paramount executive. After Gould's death, his mother had a ton of memorabilia and art from his estate stored it in her attic. After her death, the treasure trove was discovered and auctioned off. Anway, if you are interested in him, his art, his wigs, the decadent 80's art/celebrity scene, you might find it worth your time.


 Warhol’s diary entry on April 16, 1981, states, “And then I decide that I should try to fall in love, and that’s what I’m doing now with Jon Gould, but then it’s just too hard. I mean, you think about a person constantly and it’s just a fantasy, it’s not real, and then it gets so involved, you have to see them all the time, and then it winds up that it’s just a job like everything else, so I don’t know. But Jon is a good person to be in love with because he has his own career, and I can develop movie ideas with him, you know? And maybe he can even convince Paramount to advertise in Interview, too. Right? So my crush on him will be good for business.”

   

 

No comments: