Monday, February 20, 2012

A sparkling childhood memory

Fireflies are probably the most precious memory I have as a child. Sitting, waiting in my great aunt's yard at dusk in Alvarado, Texas to spot the first magical flash, watching them, chasing them. David and I saw Synchronous Fireflies at a lake in Kansas many years ago. I miss fireflies! I have not seen one in more than 18 years and that is too long. I am sad for my son, who never had that moment of seeing them appear in the dark. Fireflies are disappearing all over the world, how you can help at Firefly.org, what a great place. Maybe, that should be a summer trip ... in search of fireflies!

  

 I wanted to do something like this about 15 years ago! I want one!!! This is more what mine looked like (in my head on and on paper) ...



A very sweet piece about remembering the magic of fireflies by Julia at bioluminescence.

3 comments:

Kim Carney said...

I had so much trouble posting this one, I don't want to open it up again. What's up blogger? Stuff would randomly disappear ... but here are some wonderful firefly photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/plj/with/2621073616/

Peruby said...

Blogger can get very cantankerous from time to time.

Wanted to say we still have fireflies here in Ohio. Did not know they were disappearing. Too sad.

Kim Carney said...

Really!!!!! Then I am coming to visit you thing summer! ;) I am so glad to hear that.