Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tendril Font and calendar

Oh Lord. 5:30pm, Sunday night. I did nothing as far as cleaning house, paying bills (will do next), putting up clothes, doing my (secret) art project. After spending all day learning Wordpress yesterday with Rick, I worked on the website for many hours but my mind turned to unfinished calendars and Rock-On font. Up at 6a and spent all day doing something frivolous and fun. Maybe I need to do these little weekend create projects to build up my self-esteem? To feel like I can actually do something creative, see something in nothing, make it? I don't know what is driving me on the weekends to ignore dirty floors and ironing board. I feel a little guilty wasting an entire day on this, I am calling it, "unrefined vine" font. It is just the beginning, will still need to turn it into a font and make lower case, punctuation marks and numbers. Might need to wait for next year growth to have more tendrils to finish this up.

Last week I was pruning the hydrangeas before dark and started collecting the tendril attachments on the grape vines. Staring at them, with the sky as backdrop, I was imagining someone long ago thinking of calligraphy. I collected as many as I could reach, shot them and turned them into this little alphabet. I admit, it was fun. (But I am still feeling a little guilty about my entire day in front of this computer.)


Also finished up the entire calendar but trying to figure out where to upload it for someone to print out. Am going to print out a couple of calendars, one to send to my S-I-L, Gerrie, my wonderful aunt (Beth) and a couple of other friends. Anyway, still, a work in progress. ;(  Okay, now I see all I did today, it wasn't a total waste of my day. ;)

Calendar

February


Large version of February


Tender Tendril font

15 comments:

Susan - said...

This is absolutely beautiful!

Kim Carney said...

thank you, Susan!

Shelley Noble said...

Wasted day?! HELL NO! More like great week's worth of artistic achievement!

Kim Carney said...

Thanks Shelley! I needed to hear that ... my cleaning lady mentality takes over sometimes ;)

Maxinetoo said...

Ohhhh ... your calenendar is so beautiful ... I'm so glad I am on the list! :) Trendril font is amazing (you need to show me how you do that). I am so glad you blew off the housework and did something creative and fun. Absolutely not wasted time ... did you see what you accomplished! :) Beautimus!

Erin said...

Good lord that vine font is amazing! Wow!

And listen to Shelley... :)

Maggy said...

I agree with Shelley, too! I LOVE your calendar - gorgeous photo & detail, and the vine font is creative genius! I'm printing it out and it's going on my inspiration board today! Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent w/ us!

jill said...

This is AMAZING! Absolutely beautiful.

Catherine dee Auvil said...

I LOVE THAT FONT!! Plus the calendar is fantastic. What a beautiful surprise to wake up to.

Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

these are so cool my friend...the font (which rocks!) and the calendar...

totally productive day!

Kim Carney said...

thank you! all. That is so very encouraging...

lheurebleue said...

dear kim, i'm addicted to alphabets and i simply adore your Tender Tendril Alphabet. I've put a picure of it on my blog - i hope you don't mind?

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, these are GORGEOUS! Maggy emailed me about your blog and I've been drooling over everything. Wow!

Maggy said...

Kim .. have you considered putting your calendars on Etsy? (My conputer is dismal; can't do your photos justtice) ..

I'd buy one .. no, make that two!

And the same goes for the Tendril alphabet :-) ...LOVE it!!

Natalie Thiele said...

Your alphabet is out of this world! What a gorgeous way to spend a day.