Tuesday, November 21, 2006

T-Day Countdown

Gearing up for Thanksgiving dinner on my days off. Cleaning, dusting and putting the boxes of stuff I had to move out of our furnace room during the water leak. And two wonderful things happened last night while I was going through boxes, looking for damage and seeing "what is all of this crap I am moving from room to another!". I found the silver lanterns I purchased ON SALE at Pottery Barn last year with the thought of using them for decoration this year. Yes, I had fogotten them. Midnight last night I on up on the ladder attaching the lanterns. (I am now up to two big plastic tubs of lanterns).

I sent D on an IKEA white candle run last night, and can you believe it -- they are out of them. Everytime I am there they have pallets and pallets of them at the checkout. Cleaned the silver candelabras, decided we will use the Noritake Helene, I have been collecting pieces for years. I loved the graphic silver and brown leaf pattern the moment I saw it. Have a silver tablecloth. I am getting excited now. I think we have 17 but we are never sure of the guest count until we all sit down to eat. Rick and Laura are bringing some special Champagne so I decided it should be a "fancy" table setting this year. I think we did "Cow Camp" last year with enamel plates and red camp lanterns.

And the second wonderful thing I found while carting all of that stuff back and forth? The most beautiful, worn, cow skull that I had forgotten I had. The perfect one (Kathy! I found my inspiration!).

So off for more cleaning.

Thanksgiving 2006 Ceilling

9 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

Wowie! Silver sparkle and brown leaf motif! Wooo.

How nice you make a special splash each year. That's what living should be about. Well done.

turquoise cro said...

O! I LOVE all those silver lanterns!!! Let there be LIGHT! and Happy Thanksgiving! xo, Cinda

Anonymous said...

May the dinner conversation be as sparkling as the lanterns and your spirits as bubbly as the champagne.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

My Thanksgiving countdown is making me nervous. I have 3 things to do. 1. Before I go anywhere, I must finish a paper for one of my classes. The drop dead date is noon Thanksgiving day (I sumbmit it online). 2. Visit my parents - after the paper is done, which preferably would be before Thanksgiving - it's kinda up to me.
3. This one's really 1 & 2 combined. Finish the paper so I can have Thanksgiving, and so my children and husband won't have to keep asking me, "Honey (or "Mommy"), what are we doing for Thanksgiving?

Robyn said...

The sparkly lanterns are great! I'm off to IKEA myself tomorrow. It's a two hour drive, but they have this...

jill said...

I love the spread you have of the lanters... so unique. And, I LOVE the painting that rests on the wall behind there. What is that, one of your creations?? Such vibrant colors!! Maybe we need to see a "Snapshot" of that close up...

Happy TURKEY day and enjoy all your guests...

Anonymous said...

I have the same set of china-it belonged to my late MIL. Lovely.

phlegmfatale said...

I love love love the foil lanterns - they look beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving, sweetie!

meggiecat said...

Kim,
Just saw this and am so happy that you found your inspiration piece! Did you set it out in eyesight to feed that corner of your heart?

Mom in hospital with very rare condition.....craziness. Please call if you want and have a chance.

I love you,
Kathy