Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Beyond Death

This morning I heard an interview with Douglas Keister on KOUW about his new book "Stories in Stone", his journey discovering cemeteries, history, meanings behind the symbols on those headstones. It was fascinating and made me want to run to the nearest cemetery with my camera. (Looks like Visual-Voice beat me to it in her exploration of death. ;)

Karl R. Josker famous grave sites.

I found some very elaborate, beautiful graves while searching travel packages to go visit old, interesting cemeteries in different countries.

Auguste Blanqui graves in Paris.

This stunning sculpture on the grave site of journalist Victor Noir. A close-up of his face.

Charles Pigeon famille.

I think this one is a little creepy, Fernand Arbelot holding a disengaged head.

Seattle arist, Greg Lundgren, creates headstones in glass. Find a grave. Visiting cemeteries in Munich. Ancestry Daily News -- visiting Cemeteries. Austin Explorer has a nice list of cemetaries and images. The famous Paris Catacombs. Painted Skulls of Loved Ones at Bone Chapel, Hallstatt, Austria.

List of cemeteries on Wikipedia and the famous people buried there.

As a side note, there are many old roses found in cemeteries. Pat Toolan has a nice description of what she found in Australia. Fairmount Cemetery roses.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

cemetaries are some of my favorite places. I love to go and see the dates, and then make up stories about the people there. Of course, I don't know any real facts about them, but it is still very interesting to me.

Visual-Voice said...

Oh man! I might have to buy that book. I love shooting in cemeteries.. they are so peaceful and bring up so many questions. Thanks for the link.

phlegmfatale said...

I love how on the link to the tomb of Victor Noir, they conveniently don't mention that the oxidation on the crotch of his likeness is from infertile French ladies rubbing his man-bits in hopes they will help her conceive. True story.