Sunday, August 07, 2022

Starting over

It feels like we are starting all over in the backyard. With the tree gone, it is much, much warmer. Once upon a time, we had grapes that went down the side of the yard (privacy from side neighbor). I had honeysuckle that grew up a two stories to Matt's bedroom window. I had planted a beautiful clematis at the gate. The grapes and honeysuckle and clematis met in the middle to form a natural arch at the entrance. I hung tea candles around it during summer nights. 

Then it seem to all fall apart. I think it might have started when mom was sick. 4 years of working and spending time at the hospital and here when she was in hospice. The kids put pools out there creating big dead spots in the grass and mud pools. Sweet Murphy liked to lay down and cool off in my flower garden, virtually destroying them. I came home from work one day to find David had had all the grapes cut down. 

When Matt replaced that side fence, he cut back the enormous clematis and it did not come back. The honeysuckle fell from the house, falling on my Peace rose and the bed of pink Japanese anemones. Mock orange over grew, I could not get to it because of the fallen honeysuckle. I kept pleading with everyone to fix the honeysuckle. So, today! David and Matt installed a new lattice secured with cemented post. David and I had trimmed the honeysuckle so I think we can pull it upright again. I saw my Peace rose had tried to grow though the honeysuckle, so at least is not dead. 

We hired help to weed and de-morning glory and pull up random patch of ivy that had taken over. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can get back to looking half way decent again before David and I die off. We are looking at what kind of tree we can plant to replace the Liquidambar for privacy that will grow quickly, before David and I have left the earth. ;) 

We need to replace the deck that is falling apart this summer. When Matt built the side fence, he added a trellis to the top so IF and when I get clematis back, it will have something to hang on to. Oh, the two expensive Clematis I purchased in March did not make it. They are so tiny and weak, don't think I will ever order plants via mail catalog again. 

I was thinking about all the plants and flowers that have come and go in the yard. So many. It is maddening to me that my stuff migrates to the neighbors sunny side and flourishes, dies on my side ;) Maybe now with so much more sun, they will stay put. I did replace the Meadow Rue to died with two new ones.

 



 
My other clematis




4 comments:

LindaSonia said...

Your yard looks lovely in the photos you've posted - fond memories for you if it looks different now. A garden is always changing it seems so maybe you'll find new thrills working with a sunnier landscape.

Kim Carney said...

So very true! Change and change is hard for me! I need to make myself remember that! Xoxo

Joanne S said...

A VERY VERY BEAUTIFUL GARDEN. That long table....I just imagine the family and friends seated...enjoying good food and laughter together.

Kim Carney said...

Thank you Joanne! We did many parties and especially July 4th with all our friends and neighbors was our favorite. I did the decoration and hauling furniture out and my mom always did the cooking, David grilling.
We don't do big parties anymore. My mom was the cook of all of those. I was only the clean-up girl ;)