Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Dream within a dream

Woke up at 3:02am and went back to sleep until around 4am. I had the most vivid dream, I woke up so stressed out! I drifted off listening to Lost Treasures of Ancient Rome. My mom, dad and I were in Italy, but it looked more like Greece. It was beautiful scenery on a hill and we went into a catholic church to have a look. We left and I said, I am going to walk out here a little bit. I walk down this very steep hill, very rocky-sandy, had worn-out steps, a lovely beige rock and sand. Everything looked like this color of the sand. I kept walking and then spotted a beach way down the hill, another steep stair. I want there and meet some nuns, talk to lots of kids. The beach was small, and I could remember every little detail when I woke up. Anyway, I started thinking about how I had to find my parents and how the walk UP the hill and stairs were going to be impossible. In a panic, I started asking people another way to get back up the hill ... and then I woke up in a panic. 

It was soooo real. Trying to figure out the meaning. I am sure it is about my age, my mobility. But about. 2 dream later, I was at my old job. Someone had taken my wallet and I was looking for it. I owed someone money for groceries. Turns out someone I knew had picked up my wallet and felt embarrassed about it. I was trying to get money to pay back those I owed money to. There was a lot of other stuff about funding airman, in-fighting with co-workers BUT the major thing was ... I was recounting how real my previous dream was to a room full of coworkers, IN DETAIL. Not sure I have ever had a dream-within-a-dream. 

I am listening to this ridiculous vote on speaker on Cspan. UGGHHH.

Trying not to get too invested in watching the conflict on the news. I can't take many more images of dead kids being rushed to the hospital ...  that is running out of supplies and electricity. 

 Why Were Medieval Europeans So Obsessed With Long, Pointy Shoes? I always loved these medievil shoes and those pointy hats the women wore. In 1463, London outlawed the shoes of its fanciest men. These dapper lords had grown ridiculous in their dapperness, and had taken to ambling streets shod in long, carrot-shaped shoes that tapered to impish tips, some as long as five inches beyond the toe. These shoes were called “crakows” or “poulaines” (a term also used to refer to the tips alone), and the court of King Edward IV eventually found them offensive enough to pass a sumptuary law prohibiting shoe tips that extended over two inches beyond the toe. 

Perhaps one of the silliest and most fascinating trends in medieval fashion, these shoes probably first emerged around 1340 in Krakow, Poland—both names refer to this origin—according to Rebecca Shawcross, the author of Shoes: An Illustrated History. Shawcross also serves as the shoe resources officer at Northampton Museum and Art Gallery in England, which claims to have the world’s largest collection of shoes (at 12,000 pairs, but alas, just one intact pair of poulaines).

I guess because of the leather, ancient Roman shoes are still pretty well intact. The shoe-maker (sutor) was a valued craftsman in the days of the Roman Empire, and the Romans contributed the entire-foot-encasing shoe to the Mediterranean world. The Latin word for generic sandals is sandalia or soleae; for shoes and shoe-boots the word was calcei, related to the word for heel (calx).
 
 

 Looks like the perfect vacation spot. But do they have internet? Kagga Kamma Nature Reserve, South Africa
 


 

The Maijishan Grottoes: Cliffside Caves Full of Art






 

No comments: