Thursday, August 06, 2020

Question ... What makes you special?

The career counselor asked that dreaded question the other day. "What makes you special in your job?"

I freeze on this question because I feel I always go above and beyond for most jobs. But to talk about it feels uncomfortable and embarrassing.
 
After a couple of uhs and ahs, it did dawn on me. I am the go-to person to get something special done in a hurry, under a budget restraint, for the head honcho of some company (but don't spend too much), for a 100th anniversary gift for a family Fred Hutchinson's family members, a very, special thank you gift for a donor. Those sort of gifts. Those moments always get me going in a fun way.

I don't know why but if you give me that kind of challenge, I am ALL IN. 

I decided that a science flask ($12.00), engraved to a donor ($50) was a good idea. And we made many of them. We also used this gift idea for fellow employees, each of us writing a personal little note, wrap it up with thread, put them in the flask. Something for them to read for years to come.
Fellow co-worker celebrating her 25th year at Fred Hutch must have a special appreciation gift. I hand-made a 25 page, accordion fold book with 25 photos of her years at the Hutch. It was fun! First -find a gift box for presentation, storing and use that for your card size, second - have a bone-folder, third - piecing many 11x17 sheets of paper together just so, fourth - have a great writer and photo editor to supply the essential ingredient!
 




When Madame Peng Liyuan, first lady of China visited, I quickly found a beautiful crystal trophy 3-D laser etched with a DNA strand that was stunning and appropriate. It arrived in time for the visit.


I also found a source in New York for a Fred Hutch vessel to be 3-D lasered-etched in a trophy for special Board Members thank yous, or employee going-away gift. A little expensive, but worth it!


When Fred Hutchinson turned 100, We decided a personal, hand-made book/card signed by the entire campus would be a nice gift and we made it happen. Sitting at a table, getting people to sign blank pages of the card that would later be sewn together. It was a hit. Practically free. Except for some printing and vellum paper. With the help of an excellent writer!





And of course, there are the going-away Hutch Magazine covers for each departing employee. Although I have yet to create mine ... working on it!

A fun project was when Biden decided to visit Fred Hutch and we needed to put together a booklet with a days notice. I came up with the idea of having the cover printed, on black heavy card stock and another cover printed on vellum with white ink and our logo. I had a great relationship with one printer and begged them to print these covers in one day and they agreed! (That is the advantage of having good, personal relationships with printers) ... while we were waiting for the guts to be written, edited and printed in our own little copy center. I decided we could print, fold the book, fold the two cover pieces and use a green large rubber band I found at Office Depot (not very expensive) to hold it all together. Copy center printed, the entire art department trimmed, folded and assembled these adorable books. HIT! Inexpensive. Done. Biden came. The art department made special backdrops for his visit and posters for labs. It was all a hit.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg5MsgOuo193SHNwXykbUuBWSu04njQfmCqR6wNCWPnCgFKFGMM7pqUDykI9GxWGjKG01BMmLKHSd2wCmejY9TGizuKxxoHpZG5tzE2q9o51VLC-VsFHS77vlft0XaQ6GiY-jhb/s5760/Design+material_40437.JPG 

I found an incredible, generous local artist who worked on making a vessel lamp prototype. So these are a few of the projects that makes me special. ;) 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhY1zN1KNQcdP9zRACXc0xFiQe9wpHzJgWqSeHIS1EO9Ob3E0_PrRyS28HOYSORtjU__rE_wNm0MCu5YpDOJ_9bH6K5RgyV2y27xNJOrt_0AHMFQ7i4doNNjeZgOnhLMASA5Dw2/s1600/20190729_112135.jpg

6 comments:

Faith Kaufhold Ray said...

Jaw-dropping beauty, so many different creations but every one of them have “you” written all over them. I love you 💙

carlita said...

Amazingly creative, and clever!

Kim Carney said...

THANK YOU for the boost!

Shilpa said...

Extremely talented

Unknown said...

Love them! You're so creative. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

You are so incredibly talented at everything you creative. You were always my "go to" person at the Hutch for all of my gifts for our big and important donors. I loved sitting and brainstorming together and trying to think out of the box on all of our projects. From beautiful photo books, to science beakers, to custom cards with matching envelope inserts, sympathy cards, to neon signs, small wood chairs, etc. It was always a joy to work with you and I loved how you always created the most incredible gifts that no one else had. I am grateful for the chance we had to work together. You have such an detailed eye for all things art. You are a joy! I miss you! Best, Suzanne Un