Thursday, July 30, 2020

Keeping my fingers crossed

It has been an interesting year so far. Scary, isolating, busy, stressful, lonely, messy, noisy (in my house), chaotic and lots of reflection in the last month. Full of family, barking dogs, and kids running around naked. Reflecting on what to do with my future self. Am I too young to retire? Do I have it in me to start my creating my own for real? Do I have it in my to even get my studio back in order?

I am sad for our country and I refuse to let one odious remark that trump makes go unnoticed but posting it somewhere on the internet. I am sad because I have lost so many friends and family because of this horrible man. I could have ignored that they supported a racist, money laundering immoral moron to run our precious country to the ground ... but I just couldn't do it. That was my line in the sand and for that I have a handful of family and friends left in my circle. I feel like an orphan except, I luckily DO have my excellent family around me. I am thankful for that.

I embarrassed because I see the most horrible videos of racist crap going on in our country and I think, "where were these people hiding"? Even white people are completely disgusted with white people right now. How can we be acting like this in 2020? Trump has given these most vile people permission to be the worst of humankind and are not ashamed to be filmed acting out in that way. Will we ever stuff it back in a bottle? Or will be just have to figure out a way to live with it for the rest of our lives?

I feel frustrated because of the privileged "Karens' running around making fools of the human race. Demanding little kids show their license to sell lemonade on the sidewalk or ask a Mexican family to leave a park. I mean. The audacity and stupidity of this is astounding.

I am making a long list of the ideas of have had in the last 7 years to create and make. A list of what I would really love to do. Trying to decide whether I go back to school and learn UX and UI design or do I move on from graphic arts and do something entirely different?

Untethered to a schedule, I am finding that taking a nap anytime during the day to delicious. Happy hour can come in mid afternoon. Baking and cleaning can be done whenever. Binge watching all kinds of foreign mysteries. Soon will come helping Mason with her online school work, school will be online for the first 4 months of the school year. We are going to be busy for sure.

But this blog has been my best friend for 16 years and I want to document what is going on in this tumultuous times. I don't think the kids have a clue how unusual all of this is and how scary it could become if we descend into a full blown depression, which is completely possible. I don't think they understand that no one will have money to get their hair colored or may even build a house. I keep my fingers crossed that our economy will not sink into that.

But I am keeping my fingers crossed everyday for a better day to come on so many fronts. Our economy, our country, our politics, my future, our health. It seems endless, doesn't it? ;)


4 comments:

Joanne S said...

I am reminded of what I had growing up- very little. We played with sticks and rocks in the backyard- getting a bike- always second hand- was like a lottery windfall. My grandparents and parents had survived the Great Depression and World War II.
I am filling up my glass canning jars. I am wearing old clothes already so that is okay. Daughter is collecting books from Goodwill for the next time the library closes. Less becomes More. More time with your grandchildren. Your children. Your husband.
And naps anytime is actually the Way Life Should Be. Go with it.

Lacentra said...

Hi several years ago you posted about mike urban the Cretaceous garden studio. Do you know if he is still creating and are his flowers for sale? I cannot seem to find anything in my online searches. Thank you.

Kim Carney said...

YES Joanne!
I too grew up in a household full of family who lived through the depression. And in today's financial climate, I try and tell my kids (living here with me) what MIGHT come and what could happen to our very cozy world. Of course, I am the "dooms-day-sayer" in our household. I too grew up shopping at Goodwill. When I was young (and they had lots of good stuff) it embarrassed me. Later in my college years, I was the one that found all the great vintage stuff! Now, I don't find anything and I rarely shop for clothes because everything in my size should have been thrown in the trash instead of going to the Goodwill ;)
My mom bought all of her books there and second hand book store. Unfortunately, I can not get my husband to do the same. He is a book, a hard-back cover book straight off the press, book addict! It is really maddening! He spends so much on books and honestly, we have NO room for them anymore.
I have not bought any news clothes in over two years, but I don't feel like I need any new clothes. The ones I have are perfect. Plus, I can not even find something I like to buy.
Our times have definitely changed. My DIL is a hair stylist and I am astounded at what these clients pay to have their hair colored or extensions put in! And THIS the moment that I remind everyone, if we enter into a depression, people will NOT have that kind of disposable income to spend 800 on extra hair for their head!
Our family has so much more than we need. And we remind ourselves ourselves how lucky we are to have what we have. Entering the idea of retirement, paying for health insurance and medications, etc, it very daunting. Unfortunately my husband likes to dig his head into the sand and not face facts. I am constantly trying to drag him back to reality!
xoxoxoxo!

Kim Carney said...

Lacentra, I contacted him way back when you asked, and he is not making those anymore. I just sent him another email with the question. Hoping he writes back