Saturday, December 08, 2007

Paper Perfection

{later posting: you must check out Green Kitchen's Making Tradition By Hand beautiful book!}

My morning started off innocently enough. Just jump online to check email for a second. Hours later, hundreds of sites, many purchases of patterns, books and Trash Ties for hair by Heather Bailey ... I am wondering how I can get so lost in the internet? Not that I have to justify my wasting time online to me or you ... I think, I worked hard all week, I deserve a little "down time", surfing, shopping, exploring. But for a person who seems to have no time to create and complains about it ... I should shut this computer down for a week and get after it.

I am not sure what click led me to Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord spirit books and her blog, In Good Spirit but do yourself a favor and go download her Spirit book (seen below) and commentary pdf's and have a look. It will make you swoon. I think this entire paper book "click-fest" and book-purchasing-morning started by reading Soule Mama's post on her adventures into making books.



Although I own these wonderful books on bookmaking, I ended up purchasing "How To Make Books, by Ester K. Smith " and "The Book Book: A Journey into Bookmaking" by Sophie Benini Pietromarchi. I have a huge box hidden in the studio dedicated to bookmaking tools and papers. Something I haven't done in sometime, but want to get back into again. I once made lots of little books, mostly gifts or little portfolio to mail off for promotional reasons. (Below is a "best of us" book I made for D with our worst photos ... with little circle windows on the cover and the ending sentiment "The Best of Us is yet to come"). Oh, the good ole days, when I have the time and energy to do such fun little projects. (see, there is the complaining again)

The Best of Us Valentine Book/Card

The Best of Us Valentine Book/Card

Book binder Angela Liguori via Angry Chicken. Paper Cutting blog, Ardour Bookbinding and Martin Azua.

Handwoven paper bead, cappuccino necklace (seen below) and this wonderful ring by Frucci Design.



Lee Granier's mixed media pieces and Ruby.

So many beautiful images, but this, Ornament of book (a part) by Ryuta Iida (seen below) caught my fancy via papier labo.

2 comments:

Erin Curry said...

oh wow a few of those are pieces I am envious I didn't think of first:)
I especially love the book of poem cut outs and how exotic the layout seems to my eyes so use to left to right horizontal reading.

Green Kitchen said...

I'm glad you like my little book. Thank you.