Thursday, September 15, 2005

Red Console Table

Linda was asking me about the red painted console table. After our remodel we ended up with a small wall at the top of the stairs, perfect place for table with drawers to hold keys and such. D bought a antique table, smaller, too expensive, no drawer. I returned it. I found this at one Edmond's many anitique/junk store-malls. I knew what this what when I saw it. One of those 'microwave' tables sold at Target or some such stores. Dirty, cracked, white, not real wood, or at least very cheaply made. But it was the perfect size, drawers and I wanted it to work.

I sanded, kilz, primed, painted grey, added a red top coat, but when I added the crackle medium, it all ran, oozing all over the place. It would not dry. SO, I scraped that off, determined to salvage my complete disaster. The next time I painted, I dried as I went with a hair blower. I added the crackle and dried in small sections. It worked! Then sanded and distressed with steel wool. Stained the top wood piece and finished it all off with Varathan. The top has a cracked in it but I think it just adds to it. So, for a little money, I found and painted a piece that fit the space. Next up, D and I are building a built-in bookcase. Keep you posted on that.

Red occassional table

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the detail on the table... it's wonderful!

BTW - how interesting it turned out to really be red! - in your previous photo it looked purple to me?!? LOL

Anonymous said...

also loving that figurine on the lower shelf... truly the home of an artist!

wordybird said...

did you get your registration in for artfest? if you haven't already, you should sign up for the artfest yahoo group. teesha pops in regularly and it's a great place for news and tips, etc.

Anonymous said...

fabulous! perfect red!

Anonymous said...

bxchopfk

Anonymous said...

I am very much impressed by your blog, you can find more console tables that suites your budget.