Thursday, May 05, 2005

Progressive Block Party

I am lucky to live on a great street with wonderful, caring neighbors. 13 years ago neighbors a couple of doors down had an open-house Christmas party for the entire block. That is how I met most of the neighborhood. Since then, several friends have passed away, some have moved on, some have moved in. And a few of us have decided it is time to have another block party, a progressive, pot-luck block party. Four of us are hosting, everyone invited. Cocktails (and Mocktails for the kids) in the newly landscaped front yard of the Andersons. Salad across the street at the newly renovated kitchen of Bayers. Finger-food main course at the renovated kitchen and living area of the Hawley's two doors down. And finish up with dessert, coffee and more wine to take a peek at the newly remodeled kitchen of the Miller's (that would be us). Block party brings us closer together, let us have a peek at some interior upgrades, meet some new residence and their kids. We have a unique street where people look out for your property, kids in the street, returns your run-away dog, feeds the cats and rabbits. My son says he never wants to move, and I would have to agree with him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the block party idea. I wish we would do something like that. I only know my neighbors immediately surrounding my house. Our houses are small,so not everyone would fit through for a tour, but there could be other stuff. I'm itching.

Kim Carney said...

And you could just have it outside, in the street, or in people's backyards, and just move from one to another. We had once thought of hiring a band and actually having a STREET PARTY. That does sound like fun. Thanks for writing.

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

Oh how I miss block parties. We use to host them every summer and sometimes even in the winter when I lived in Ontario ,Canada. Sigh.

Time to start the tradition in our new neighborhood. What did you serve?

http://www.designerm.com/blog.html

Kim Carney said...

We have not had it yet, but we are hosting desserts, so I we are thinking cheese board, those great brownies I have the recipe on my blog, mini pavlova, cheesecake, truffles, wine and coffee. I think it will be fun.