Friday, October 15, 2021

Collecting memories

I know I have mentioned of our collecting many times on this blog. It comes up more than it once did in our house as I have been going through some of our collections of "things". With my mom's passing and me having to go through her belongings, I am trying to be judicious about clearing out stuff that the kids might not want. Of course, without giving away our favorite collections of "stuff". Bri is starting to understand our collections and obsessions. But not quite. She has started her own collection of crystals. When I started explaining that these little things we collect makes up very happy, I am not sure she understood. We love collecting Cowboy and Indian stuff, anything that is a box, well, our collections are varied.

I did manage to give away most of my mismatched plates and such. Even then, I will show Bri some plates and say "do you want these when I am gone" and she says "yes" ... well, so much for making that hard decision of getting rid of it. But I did give away a majority of the mismatched floral stuff and many of mom's things from Scotland that broke my heart ... but it was never going to be easy to part with them. I still have my mismatched wine glasses, some very nice, some just average, some etched sets that I love. I have a few tea sets, most I love. I gave most away. I kept the ones that Mason liked and created a little tea set for her for the future. 

Speaking of giving away vs. selling it ... you always think something is "worth something" but hanging on to it while you are trying to sell it is painful. I think, giving it to the Goodwill and letting someone else discover i, love it like you do seems like a fun future for that most beloved object.

We still have the Bobbleheads, I have a few David gave me. David has boxes packed up from his work collection, mainly sports figures. He just told me he is going to sell them at auction. I laughed and said, I believe it when I see it.

My sand collection (it is small and I think Bri wants to keep it for the kids), the carved duck collection - those are worth much money and I tell the kids - don't give these away at the Goodwill. At least call an auction house and asked them about them. Right now, I think we have over 50 and these ducks are not cheap! They are at least $350 a duck, maybe more if the carver had died by then.

I have my miniature chair collection. Not worth much money but sooooo much fun. I do NOT have them displayed right now because since the kids moved in we have no place for them. The sewing room where they lived became the nursery and they went in a box. I think they are coming back since the nursery is becoming a sewing room again that the the babies will be sharing a bedroom. 

The small art/carved fish collection. "Wall-O-Fish". Again, not very expensive but lots of fun folk art pieces. 

Lots of "Cowboy and Indian" stuff. We have many Indian head penny banks, door stops and book ends. My S-I-L has given us lots of those cast metal lead Cowboy and Indian collectibles toys. I LOVE those. Western collectible glasses, sovenir tea cups and tins.

We have the dish set we bought for our "wedding set" of china. And then we found lots of other sets. Like this Vintage Monterrey Enamel Western Ware Dinner wet, plates and cups. We happened upon a big set of these Fred Roberts Divided plates, platters.



I started collecting playing cards years ago and now I can not stop David from buying them. I see a little 3x5 package in the mail and I know ... he has bought another set. We must have 300 sets at this time and I threatened him with divorce if he buys another. I wanted to make my own some day and that is what started me collecting. They makes so many unique, art decks now that are really works of art, but really, WE HAVE ENOUGH.

There is David's music album collection, probably not worth much money, but it is worth the world to him. They take up all of our extra room in the house.

Carved Totem Pole collection, mostly gifts David has given me, but we have a great selection of them. 

Boxes, containers, metal boxes, wooden cigar humidor carved in an Indian chiefs head, old cardboard boxes, Japanese boxes, Korean boxes, wooden boxes carved like fish, anything box with a fish on it, little ring or jewelry boxes, literally any box will do in our house, we have them all. 

Feathers real and carved wooden feathers.

My mom's alabaster egg collection. I gave her an egg every time I traveled someplace. Probably will give this away.

Lots of art, any kind of art will do. I have collected lots of art from artist I love. David has lots of framed, signed art. Vintage western movie posters, etchings, lithographs (mostly ducks), paintings, vintage postcards, vintage advertising with an America Indian on it. Edward Sheriff Curtis Indians photography. 

Many skulls: ram, longhorn, buffalo, and cute kids animal heads from Pottery Barn, yes, I have this kid's Moose head hanging in my family room, a very cool layered deer head from Etsy that David gave me, an laser etched cow skull from Skull Bliss I bought David. I have small animal skulls too.




 

I guess we all have rock collections. I love mine. I never let them get dusty or dirty displayed in their bowls. I wash them. And now Mason has started collecting rocks so our bathroom and all around the house, full of rocks in bowls.

Oh, yes, Bri must reminded me of our Christmas ornament collection. Probably over 500 ornaments.

Back when I was shooting my flowers, I had collected little jars, bottles and vases. I found so many great vases at the Goodwill and now I can not part with them. I have a tendency to like "little" things to collect. Small bottles, vials of sand. I have boxes and boxes of paper lanterns that I would hang in my dining room. Since I have not done that lately, might be time to get rid of those. Maybe I will force myself to do something for this coming holiday and make use of them.

Which brings me to the reason I started this post, Oaxacan art.

We have the carved Oaxacan art pieces that I love but we have NO more room to collect more. I was looking around today at the new up and coming Oaxacan artist and their patterns and colors are so different. And man, have the prices gone up on that art! I wish we had some room for a few more because I found so many I love. Intricate patterns and sophisticated color palettes. Anyway ... I love every little thing David and I have collected and loved over the years.

These are some of the new pieces I found last night.










 

I have a porcupine like this but not as bright








This is more like what we have







No comments: