Saturday, March 28, 2020

Covid 19

Today, a few in the household are getting testy. 

Daily life is surreal. The quietness. The birds chirping away on a beautiful sunny day, at the feeder without a care as Covid 19 shuts down the world. Our neighbor's family stood outside their house and sang Happy Birthday to their mother/grandmother. Bri cried. Matt picked up a load of wood that needs to be split and dumped it in the driveway. I super-cleaned the fireplace. Then found my spot in my "big chair" and watched another movie. I do that, watch movies, a lot. I don't feel guilty about it. My favorite thing to watch these days, foreign mysteries. I get so caught up in reading the sub-titles, I forget to check my twitter feed or how afraid I am feeling at the moment. If you want a list of the great ones I have watched, just asked! Netflix, Amazon. I really should not be spending the extra money, but so worth it for sanity right now.



I try not to think too hard about what is going on in Seattle at the hospitals. In New York with the hospital staff  putting themselves in jeopardy as they try and save lives. In Spain, an ice rink turned into a morgue. In Italy, where the numbers of dying has not dropped. I have not freaked out or shut down, but I fear it will come sooner than later. I constantly read statistics, numbers around the world infected and dead. So many not heeding warnings at Florida beaches. Cruise ships still unloading infected passengers in Miami. I try to keep my anger to a minimum, anger will not help. I watch trump thumping his chest at his daily briefings/hate rallies and want to vomit.


So far we have been lucky. My husband and I can work from home and still have jobs for now. I have been working from home, starting week 4. I tend to work too much because it is just too easy to stay logged on to work. It gives me something else to worry about besides Covid 19.

Matt has still been working, but furloughed as of Friday. Bri is not working in the salon for now. Mason out of school going on week 4. Only a few trips to the grocery store and I feel like we are playing a crap shoot every time someone ventures out. I try NOT to go to the store. I am really having a bad feeling about David and I getting this. We are way over 60 and not great health-wise. 

We are living in chaos with the kids trying to find their way into this new world. I think the baby is teething so she is crying a lot. But we watch her grow a little everyday and that is fun. Mason is amazing, with this amazing vocabulary and she and I cuddle in my "big chair" most nights. Her with the iPad and Barbie on Netflix, me with my phone and a game or twitter feed. 

I do things like call the Neptune Society to check how much I owe on my cremation and get the policy number. Talk to David about all of our accounts. I have started writing down my passwords in case something happens and people need to delete or update my accounts/feeds. I would usually blog all of these details for family but not many of my family members are left. My mom, brother, uncle have died in the last 4 years. Most of my Texas family estranged because of their dedication to trump. I was thinking the other day, I could die and only my immediate family would know or care. Weird! But that is where we are in 2020.

So I am documenting this like my family would be reading about life here during the lock down. I am not making deals with God to save my life when so many have died, so very many, old and young, have died. We are just trying to be smart here. Keep our heads straight. Keep the house somewhat clean. NOT stick our heads in the sand about the truth of the world-wide situation. Try to have a positive attitude about the financial situation of us and the world. 


I have thought about blogging the pandemic. If I didn't write it down, maybe it wasn't really happening? I think that is what I was feeling. But I really need to come to terms with reality. And put this in my blog, that has been my diary of all things, bad and good, up until now. So hopefully, I will read this years from now, as I read about my mom dying and say ... yes, that horrible thing really happened. 

I tweet all day about trump and his colossal screw-ups on Twitter and on Facebook. I will not stop hounding trump until he is out of office and out of our hair. 

3 comments:

Joanne S said...

Been here most of the Time- reading and your words are always honest and real. Yes, to a diary of this.
This will be a defining moment in the lives of all of us- even the ones in their 70's. Not even 3 weeks and it seems like a month- even two months. I have forgotten what it's like to just GO!!

I hope- on some visit to the grocery- that there will be a bag of flour (any kind), oatmeal and the milk I drink.
Until then, pantry soups, and oatmeal (while it lasts) and mending.
I should follow your path and get Netflix and Amazon.

Kim Carney said...

Joanne
It is so surreal to think we are running out of flour and toilet paper! I grew up with my grandmother who went through the depression so I get most of her stories now. I just told Mason (granddaughter) we have to stay in another month and we had been locked away for a month all ready. I wonder if she will remember any of this? But we made a pact to have a "day out together" when this is over, shopping and having lunch. I get so afraid that I will not be here in the months to come. ... just reading too many COVID-19 obits. But they are so sad and horrendous, dying alone, without family. And keep telling myself, we will get through this xoxoxoxox!

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

...and screw with your
brain cells beyond repair.
If thats what you wanna do,
go right ahead N continue
what you're doing: bowing-
down to idolatry (<- worshipping
a false god). Solution which
will save thy soul? First,
lemme ask you to type this:
TurnOrBernie.blogspot.com
Love you.
Cya soon.
be@peace.