Monday, April 29, 2024

Hospital stay

I have been wondering if I have the energy to write this post. 

Every time I successfully hoist myself off of the toilet seat I feel grateful. 

I have been in the hospital for over a week. It started a month ago? I don't even remember when or how. I started feeling so tired I could hardly leave the sofa. I would get up to do something and just give up and lay back down. It was hard to think, to talk ... and last week Bri drug me off the sofa and said you are going to the hospital. 

I had also had a cold/cough for awhile. I had weeks where I was super sensitive to smells and any smell would make me throw-up ... but of course I had not food in me so lots of dry heaving. The rest is a blur. 

The initial scare was that my sodium level had dropped to a dangerous level, hence, the not having energy or being able to form a sentence, so I got started on a a bunch if IVs. My arms look like pincushion. At a certain point they simple could not get a good IV port through a vein anymore. 

I was ordered for Nurse Rachett to eat bacon, and drink veg broth. Bacon, which I quit eating ages ago I started forcing my self to swallow ... Nurse Rachett insisted I eat the bread to because it has salt. I have sort of quit eating bread. 

The funny thing is, I though me eating radishes and bell peppers was for the healthier me. But true I was not getting enough protein. But then we came to the main issue I had ended up being pneumonia, lungs full of what my Dr delicately described as pus. Xrays later and a bronchoscopy where you could see all the fluid and God knows what else. 

Well, my mind took a dark turn that second night, I thought about how I was not going through any treatment, and how Matt would take it all, Not sad but just logical process. The next day Bri and I talked all morning about all the will and power of attorneys and all the paper work they had, made sure where it was, medical directives ,,, Bri is like me, was like to start off at the worst scenerio and work our way up. 

Anyway ... with that all out of the way ... I started eating 3 or 4 meals a day ... forcing whatever Nurse Rachett said. Oh, I had also lost a lot of weight and they weren't happy with that. So a week of being woken up every hour for blood test, blood pressure, temp, changing out IVs ... I am back home. The nursing staff was sooooo wonderful, patient. 

They are still waiting for the cultures to grow so they can see what kind of nasty shit is in there. I am on antibiotics for awhile. Bri stocked up the kitchen with lots of food for me to eat. But I have some energy back. I walked around the house, did dishes and little things. I am very weak, hence my fear of getting stuck on the toilet. 

The kids were my rock. Bri at the hospital, face-timing during meetings. She was checking My Chart all day seeing what the test results were. They have gone off the softball tonight. The girls just a crazy as ever.

They went to Costco earlier today and I said ,,, get a big chocolate cake. Still trying to figure out when and how my sodium got so low. But it all feels like too much to think about in depth, will do that later.

5 comments:

beverly said...

So very thankful to hear from you. I was really getting worried. You are so lucky to have your family and especially Bri to take charge and get you to the hospital. I am so glad to hear you are on the mend.
Please please take care of yourself and listen to your doctor and Nurse Rachett and Bri.

Sending love and hugs,
Beverly

Angie said...

Ah God woman I have been checking every day it seems like forever to see if there was a post. Wondering if I should call to make sure you were still on this plane of existence. Hoping thing we're ok and that you were just off visiting your SIL. I'm hugely relieved that you are back home and on the mend. Being so sick you were in the hospital a whole week is no joke. I'm so happy you're back home and on the mend. Eat lots of bacon and chocolate cake!! I told my pharmacist yesterday that I have decided to eat, drink, smoke, and be merry from now on and damn the torpedos! ����

Anonymous said...

Sending strength and happy wishes! What a scare to feel like fading away under the weight of tiredness and blur. Get well soon ...

Joanne S said...

Okay-- you didn't move to Hollywood and marry one of those sexy actors. You got sick instead. Why????
I would check this site every day.....never anticipating you being SICK. I still have cough but no fever.
I also am not eating properly according to my son...and my radishes are getting old in the fridge.
to even things out--I bought more yogurt ice cream bars and had a tomato and mayo sandwich for lunch.
Now I am sleepy. Take care. Eat salty things....sleep 12 hours a day like I do. I recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I was horrified to find out you were sick and I didn’t know it. You are my very heart Kim, did you know that? In case j haven’t told you enough, thank you for being my friend mostly all of our lives. I love you doll.