Monday, March 26, 2012

I believe

My friends rally around when I am feeling blue or overwhelmed. This from my friend, Irene.  

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death." - Robert Fulghum 

I also believe that if Trayvon Martin had been a white kid walking down the street, he would not have been shot. That George Zimmerman should be in jail. We are having long, heated discussions about this at my house and we are disgusted, that the victim is being painted as a "bad kid". I saw a woman walking down my street the other night with a hoodie pulled over her head and thought ... would someone shoot her because she looks suspicious? If this has been a white kid shot dead, you can not tell me that the person shooting him wouldn't be in jail the next day. Really, what is going on in this country? I think a race riot is in order and I plan on joining in on the side of justice!

1 comment:

s'mee said...

I cannot imagine a person shooting another person -even out of 'self defense'- and not ever being taken into custody/bonded/bailed/whattheheckever until all is revealed. This whole situation screams into my soul, I too, am disgusted.

A piece on NPR this afternoon spoke of how black men fear white men so much, even now, that they teach their boys how to react if approached by a white person, how to respond not if but when they are pulled over by a cop, and how, even when they become as 'white' (in speech and manner) as the King, they will still be suspect to that one white man, so all white men are to be feared until proven otherwise.

it makes me ill to think people need to teach their children to fear as a means of self preservation. shame in us all.