Saturday, December 18, 2010

Virtual vacation

I noticed this location on the Feedjit feed - Saltburn-by-the-Sea, North Yorkshire and thought, doesn't that sound like a charming spot in the world. I love to Google locations and have a look around. Virtual vacation. Mom and I have traveled back to places we once lived, walked around the street, looked at the old homes we rented. It always amazes me to do that. Anyway, back to the point. Saltburn-by-the-Sea is not very far from Dundee, where I lived in my 20's! I wish I had done and seen more when I lived there! I passed by there many times on my train trips back and forth to London.


My family lived in very small village of Rait, not far from Dundee. Beautiful, isolated area of Scotland. The house was very old, creaky and wonderful. The water heater was small capacity and we shared hot bath water. ;) Before that, we lived in Aberdeen and Dundee. Eventually, my folks purchased a house in Insch but unfortunately sold it while they were divorcing. My mom grieves over the loss of her precious home in the idyllic Scottish location. She thought she would live there forever.


I have been working on that crackle repeating background inspired by the vase I bought the other day. It is remarkable how similar the crackle pattern is to the satellite map of farm land.


I also painstakingly made this dot pattern and trying to make it into a repeating pattern. I love it!


I also mocked up this for a new friend I met yesterday at the Networking seminar. Something she wants to learn to build in WordPress. I got carried away but I was having so much fun.



And the last thing I did was finally make Peach Preserve labels for mom. She only has a few but I love wrapping them up in a special way! I made them so I could use the 3" round punch I love.


All in all, a pretty productive day, in a non-paying way. ;)

3 comments:

Paul Byron Downs said...

The dots remind me of an Agnes Martin drawing.

Paul

Kim Carney said...

I love her work!

Unknown said...

I love this dot pattern!

is there any chance this is available online somewhere? I'm a new graphic design student and would love the .ai file to this.

please let me know if this is possible. It'll make my day thank you!