Friday, March 03, 2006

ArtFest Cometh


Now that Olympics has left me in a icey spin-out, weeks of helping Matt with his "make-up" algebra (BTW - I remember most of my high school algebra!), Matt's teacher-parent conference and the fall-out from that (me in desperate search of a good tutor) - it is time to turn my attention to ArtFest! It has not been on my radar until a sweet reminder by Teesha that I still owed money. Tonight I thought I should check my Yahoo email acct (that is connected to the ArtFest community) that has over 700 emails about ArtFest. I need to dig out my packet to remember what classes I am signed up for.

Okay, it is all daunting to me. The idea that I need to read 700 emails, the idea that I am going to ArtFest at the end of the month, put together some clever "trading" art thing, get supplies together, coffee, WINE, food, clothes, etc. I think it will be fun but I have never "created" art in a group setting. Okay, I do create illustrations everyday on demand, with my computer and an art director and editor looking over my shoulder. But in a room full of create folk! I am feeling overwhelmed! I joined the the
frapper group for ArtFest.

I am hoping to find that KEY that I have been looking for to unlock some part of my creative brain that has been lost to me for some time. I don't imagine I will be making lots of art, rather absorbing, learning, unwinding. Those are my goals.

Now, reading through all the emails and trying to get a sense of who will be there. Of course, there is Tara who talked me into this madness! Here are a few more names that popped up. But hang on, I am only through the first 300 emails ;)

Catherine - Happy Day Art!

Sweetwater Sisters

CĂ©line Navarro- Green Frog Studio

Jennifer Louden and her blog


Gryphon's Feather Studio

Amy Smith

Dona diCarlo

Anne Kelley - Beads du Monde

Keith LoBue

Izabella and her blog

Tara Finlay

Janene (Shipley) Tindall

Nadine Wong

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I haven't attended Artfest, I've participated in something similar (have taken workshops with Teesha & Tracy, Ann Bagby...)and here's my advice: don't get nutty about it. Yes, there will be participants who are huge *junkies*, toting along suitcases full of every imaginable material & tool, but just bring what is suggested or you'll be overwhelmed with possibilities before things even get rolling.

I strongly suggest having a notebook/sketchpad on hand at all times, though, because you are going to see SO MUCH that you'll want to remember when you get home. Notes & sketches will be invaluable. (Bring a camera, too.)

I know you'll have a ball!

Amy said...

I am so excited for you! I'll be living vicariously through you on your trip...can't wait to hear all about it after the fact.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kim... Sounds like stimulation city! Okay if I live vicariously through you? I hope you'll have the energy, etc. to share with us your marvelous time at this Art Fest. I'm so excited for you, too!

Maureen said...

kim, that is SO COOL you're getting the opportunity to attend (and present?) at that fun event. I've never heard of ArtFest (goes ta show you what living in the boonies on Montana does to one's brain) ... but I would love to hear about your experience when you come back. I agree, though, from having participated in huge conferences as attendee and presenter, that you would do best not to get nutty about it and definitely bring your sketchbook/journal and digital camera. I hope to see lotsa photos and sketches of your time there!
xoxo Maureen

Pam @ The Blue Between said...

oh! you are going to artfest too - seems like all my online friends are! I'm not, I didn't register in time... but I soooooo wish I was. Maybe next year. I hope you have the most fabulous time!

Kim Carney said...

I am going to totally report back all the juicy details