Sunday, February 19, 2006

Beautiful Sunday - Pressed Petals

A new Flickr group - Beautiful Sunday created by Joleen. My beautiful Sunday object being pressed hydrangea petals.

Pressed hydrangea petals

And another fun and interesting group is Corners of My Home. Lots of corners to peek into. It feels like walking down a dark neighborhood street and looking into a warm, inviting window of someone's home. This is the cabinet corner of my kitchen. And more of my corners here and here.

corner of my kitchen china cabinet

6 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Those petals look unreal. I SO love hydrangea!

Pam @ The Blue Between said...

oh thank you for posting beautiful sunday! I love it :) I joined the corners group awhile ago, but have yet to post anything there. Your flower petals look like buttons. I wanted to make a braclet out of them!

Tricia said...

Your dishes look so pretty, as does the rest of your home. I love the colors on your walls!

Kim Carney said...

Violetismycolor: I looked it up. I think it is the same. You will love them, but they need alot of water!
Hydrangea hortensia
family: Hydrangeaceae

The Hydrangeas are marsh or aquatic plants, and hence the name is derived from a Greek compound signifying water-vessel. Philibert Commerson, a French plant hunter in the mid-1700's, and his botanical assistant, a young fellow named Jean Baret, stayed by his master's side through incredible travails of intense cold, jungle sores, and near-drownings. But in Tahiti, Jean Baret was ~unveiled~ when he tried to fend off the advances of a Tahitian chieftain. Jean was really Jeanne, a women.

According to one version, when the expedition was over Jeanne Baret became Commerson's housekeeper and stayed by his side until his death. Then, she remarried, and for reasons unknown, changed her name to Hortense. Some say that Hydrangea hortensia, was named for the legendary Hortense.

Kim Carney said...

Yes, Pam, you could make a beautiful bracelet from them! Thanks everyone. I love you Rita!

Anonymous said...

These are lovely, makes me wish I were there.