Monday, January 09, 2006

Self-Portrait Tuesday 01.10

My personal history always seems fragmented, in constant motion, lots of family. My mother divorced when I was six months old. I was close to my dad, his new family and his parents. My mother struggled and worked hard to keep she and I going. My maternal grandmother, uncle, aunt, my mom and I, all huddling together in love, dysfunction, poverty for our very survival, living under the same roof for years. In my very early days, that would be a very small attic apartment in Texas that we all lovingly called "The Hot House". I remember bits and pieces of "The Hot House". We laughed about it, the small, weird bathroom, that you had to duck down entering as not to bump your head (for the adults), my grandmother's snoring would keep everyone awake since we basically all slept in one room. My "Nanny" cooking "chocolate rolls" (I now make my own son), making me Barbie clothes. My uncle in High School, his beautiful girlfriend Betsy, dancing the "Pony" and "Swim" with his High School friends, swimming pools all summer, apartment life, daycare that last what seems like my entire childhood, then my mother remarried and that all changed. Another life began for me.

Nanny, my aunt, my mom and me in The Hot House, My mom and I on my 3nd birthday, My maternal grandmother and me at one year old.

Self_Portrait Tuesday 01.10

1958

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TRIED TO E-MAIL YOU, ??? YES THIS IS SHARON YOUR COUSIN. I LOVE READING ALL THE FAMILY STORIES, I'LL TRY TO E-MAIL YOU LATER. LOVE YOU VERY MUCH

vicci said...

Kim....I LOVE all of your old photos. The old photos always give me a sense of who we really are as individual people...and yet how much we all have in common...we all have such great stories! Vicci

liz elayne lamoreux said...

these are wonderful. it is a joy to share in your trips back down the path that brought you to this moment in time. delightful pictures.

Anonymous said...

What good/bad???? memories of THE HOT HOUSE. It is said what does not kill you makes one stronger - this is proof positive of this adage. We are all the better for it. So funny remembering each of us kicking the other's bed and saying "tell Mother to stop snoring". Also remembering not to jump up off the toilet unless you wanted to knock yourself out. But Nanny worked at Neiman's and I at the Hilton and we had "class". Jim and Judy in school with odd jobs, we had it made. I love you for remembering. Mom

Frances said...

You have such a wonderful writing style. Love the pictures, too.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the kind words on my SPT today. sounds like "the hot house" was more like a "fun" house.

phlegmfatale said...

Thanks for sharing another sweet little slice of your life with us.

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful synopsis of your childhood, Kim. Do I spell a genblog in the making...? : )

Caroline said...

Wonderful collage of words to go with the photos!

the Agams said...

I love how the story is beautifully optimistic, though it is describing quite a harsh reality...
The pictures are also great!
Hadar

Kim Carney said...

Yes Rachel, crazy fun house, we should rename our experience. Thanks everyone. OH, gosh Paul, a genblog, of me, pretty boring. Rita and Sharon, you all ready know most of this! Yes, harsh reality, I think aboaut that first photo of us, my mother was only 18 or 19 years old...4 or 5 years older than my son is right now! Weird. Wonderful.

mati rose said...

oh i think you should make an illustrated novel of the hot house. wow! you captured it so well. thank you for sharing your stories and photos! i think i'm feeling vulnerable today, but this is making me a bit teary.

Nimbostratusdweller said...

I love these photos, they're great.
Thanks for sharing.