Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Working From Home

There is weird peace that comes over me when I discover I don’t HAVE to go to work. I got up very early today to take a friend to the airport. Came home, and checked my email. Which is when I discovered this delicious fact. I should pay closer attention to the schedule. Truth be told I do love my job, or what I do for a living. But I hate driving to work, and sometimes I hate being confined to the office. I tend to be a loner, introvert and would prefer not having social responsibility that comes with working in an office. I.E., being nice to people, responding to questions, going to meetings. (It makes me sound really bitchy, but this is the ugly truth about me). But I do love to work. I admit to being a workaholic. I can’t remember when I became a workaholic. Maybe when I discovered a profession that suited me. I have done many jobs in my life, from cleaning bedpans in a nursing home in my high school days, selling boots and buckles at a western wear store in Lewisville, Texas in my early teens, working in a hospital, working for a blood bank drawing blood, bartender, waitress, ticket agent for a commuter airline (one of most fun but totally stressing jobs). I had studied art, graphic arts but stumbled into a job designing ads for a newspaper, which lead me to the path I am on today. I can remember how giddy I was to realize that working for a newspaper meant that workplace was open almost 24-hours a day. That if I wanted to go to work at 3 a.m., I could do so. I can remember having jobs where they turned off the lights at 6 p.m. and you really could not go into the building after closing hours. I hated that feeling. And when I explored all the jobs I had, my favorites most were 24-hour operations.

So today I will work from home and enjoy every quiet minute of it and it will be wonderful. This is where I work on the computer at my house. The computer in my studio is the old one; the new one resides in our family room so my son has access to it. I have a view of the Olympic Mountains, the backyard busy with birds, rain or sunshine. I can see my son all day, doing whatever it is he is doing. I can hear my mom in the kitchen cooking up something good. Scooter stays close to me on the floor. And all is right with the world.

Desk

2 comments:

Amy said...

With views like that I'd see about negotiating some kind of work-at-home four days a week clause. Points being: has to be better for your health, better for the environment-no vehicle exhaust polluting the air, happy and relaxed employees are much more productive, etc.

Cin said...

What a wonderful workspace ! I'd hate to count the hours I spend staring at a computer screen, but I think with a set up like that the time would be considerably lessened. What a view !