Saturday, May 28, 2005

Preserving Coral Reefs

With the IF Aquatic theme from last week in mind, I was thinking of my youth. I was certified scuba diver in my 20's and 30's but have not been diving in a long time. My memories are vivid, my fascination for sealife never wanes. I was reading today about the destruction of the coral reef in the Virgin Island from raw sewage. I keep wondering what kind of damage all of those cruise ships impose on the waters, trash, sewage. It is very depressing. I want my son to be able to go to the VI someday and have the experience that I did. Amazing corals, fish, the colors remarkable.
The Living Sea has a wonderful photo gallery, showing different fish and corals. My favorite has always been the brain coral and the Damsel fish.
Also take a look at
Ocean Conservancy maybe there is something we can all do to insure that our kids get to enjoy the abundance of natural beauty that we have now.

No comments: